Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Crimson Romance Author, Carmen Ferreiro-Esteban

It is my pleasure to introduce Carmen Ferreiro-Esteban, a fellow author at Crimson Romance. She writes paranormal and her debut book IMMORTAL LOVE is available now.

Hello M.V, Thank you for having me here. 

Carmen Ferreiro-Esteban
You are originally from Spain--do you write in English first or Spanish? 

I write in English.

English and Spanish have very different sentence structure. For me, it’s easier to write directly in English than to translate the story later from Spanish.  --I find this fascinating, and quite the challenge.

Actually, in the case of Immoral Love, I did the opposite. I wrote Immortal Love in English, and then I translated into Spanish. You can read about my experiences at my blog (http://carmenferreiroesteban.wordpress.com/?s=translation). It was quite an adventure. 

Do you think there are some stories more suited for the Spanish language than English? Why or why not?

IMHO, English is a great language for technical/scientific writing.

Spanish is a more lyrical language, more musical if you wish, which makes it a better fit for poetry. But, please, don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that there are not great poems written in English.--I think some languages are better suited for the flow of poetry. Like French and your native language-Spanish.

What is your writing process:

         --do you plan it all out, or write as you go?
I start with an idea, a scene, two characters arguing, making love. From there the story grows until I have an outline in my mind. Then, I start writing.
 
I may write the outline down or just a couple of sentences stating the gist of the story and the ending. But without this basic outline and a clear idea of where the story is going, I cannot write. --I agree, you have to have what I've heard some say the "tent poles".

          --what is your preferred time of day to write?

I am a night person. In a perfect world I would write at night. But if I have to get up early, I can’t stay up late so I work whenever I have time between my translation/editing projects.-- Ah, Funny how our writing preferences never match with our day jobs! I like to write in the late morning, early afternoon or early evening.
  
In your book, "Immortal Love" you profile a Spanish Poet, what drew you to him and why?

Immortal Love started as the story of an author searching for an agent. It was a projection of my own struggles, at the time. That the agent in my story turned out to be Becquer was inevitable, for he was perfect for the job. Becquer, who is the most beloved of the Spanish poets today, failed to be recognized as a writer during his life, and had to work odd jobs to make a living.
Who better than him then, to understand my protagonist’s predicament? Besides he was handsome and had but a short and difficult life. He deserved another chance. --I am a great believer in second chances, and bravo for giving him one.

What are you working on now?

I’m working on the story of how Becquer, my protagonist in Immortal Love, became immortal. So far I have been doing research for, although I know the fictional story of his life, Becquer was a real person and I need to learn as much as I can about him and his time (nineteenth century Spain) to make the story both fantastic and real. 

Becquer was a wonderful writer and poet. Even if he wrote in Spanish and the musicality of his poems is somehow lost in translation, enough remains to captivate the reader even in English.

Please click here if you wish to read one of his Rhymes.

For fun: What is your favorite beverage.

It depends. Coffee to wake up in the mornings, water if I’m thirsty, a margarita when I want to relax in good company. --Ah yes coffee! My favorite.

 Thank you for visiting with me today! I hope you can stop by again soon. May the words always flow. 

Author Bio: Carmen Ferreiro-Esteban is the author of the young adult fantasy TWO MOON PRINCESS (Tanglewood Press) and the paranormal romance IMMORTAL LOVE (Crimson Romance). The amazing Ginger Knowlton at Curtis Brown represents her YA novels.  
 
Originally from Spain, she lives in Bucks County, PA, where she works as a freelance writer, editor and translator. Visit her for more information at www.WriteEditPublish.com.



 

3 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

Great interview, Mary. Tent poles, heh? I hadn't heard that one.

Glad to meet you, Carmen. I've always heard poets are notoriously passionate.

M.V.Freeman said...

Thanks Carla!

LOL! I got that term from a friend. :) Works perfect--just think A turning point, mid point, and black moment--perfect poles! ;)

Now the rest of it gets trickier...



Carmen Ferreiro-Esteban said...

Thank you for having me over, Mary.

Tent poles is a perfect expression!