Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Maureen Miller and JustRomanticSuspense.com!

I would like to extend a hearty thank you to Carla for having me here. 

How did I meet Carla?  I knocked on her virtual door one day and said, "Would you like to be on my blog?"  LOL That seems so long ago now, and yet, JUST ROMANTIC SUSPENSE is celebrating its first birthday this month.

To give you some history, a little over a year ago I had executed a random search for Romantic Suspense authors on the internet. At the time I was frustrated by the results. I found RS authors by publishing house, by RWA Chapter, by Zodiak sign, by political party...LOL...well, basically I could not find one location for the genre. And so, JUST ROMANTIC SUSPENSE was born. Even though authors names are public domain on the internet, I refused to list them on the site unless I had personally received their consent. There was a lot of legwork in those days, and a lot of "door-knocking".  Carla's smiling face greeted me one day, and I'm so happy she did. She's a fantastic author.

In one year JRS has grown leaps and bounds. Our birthday bash is coming up on October 13th! It will be fun if you have a chance to stop by.

I have a confession to share with you, though.  Yes, I am a romantic suspense author. I was even a Golden Heart nominee in Romantic Suspense...and yet, would you believe my latest release is a young adult, science fiction, romance? (gasp!)  Let's peel away those layers, though. Age aside, it's still a romance. Science Fiction? Well, whether the book is set in Perth Amboy, NJ or a space ship 5000 light years away, there is still going to be conflict and suspense. So really, at the core of these layers you're left with romantic suspense!! 

If you're looking for romantic suspense in a young adult-science fiction-ey way, I would love to offer a digital copy of BEYOND to one person who can share some of their favorite layers when it comes to romance novels. Is it the core element of suspense? Is it the essential happy ending? Is it the development of the romance in between?

***

It is the day after Aimee Patterson’s high school graduation. College beckons, as does her dream of becoming an engineer. On an early evening walk, her cocker spaniel charges into the woods on the other side of the pond. Aimee trails after him, and in the stillness of that forest the unthinkable happens. She becomes paralyzed and watches in horror as her hands vanish before her eyes. 

Waking to the sound of voices, Aimee realizes that she has been kidnapped. Little does she know how far away from home she is, though. In an attempt to flee her captors, she launches from their confines only to freeze at the view outside the window. The sky is black and filled with stars, and in the distance is a familiar blue globe. The planet Earth. 

A group of humans forced to flee their planet after an epidemic destroyed their civilization now travel the galaxies in search of an antidote. Retrieving samples of plant life from every solar system, on this occasion Aimee was accidentally seized instead. 

Aimee must learn to avoid the advances of an awkward young scientist who seems intent on dissecting her, as her own fascination turns to the exotic young warrior, Zak. Having fallen in love with Zak, she is now torn with the decision to return to Earth or live beyond the stars.

21 comments:

Twimom227 said...

I read to escape, and so a happy ending is a must for me. I expect and hope for an emotional journey to get to the ending, but it must be a good one. Thanks!

Maureen A. Miller said...

Thanks for stopping by, Twimom. The happy ending is imperative, otherwise I would curl up into a ball and cry if I didn't get it. :)

Amanda K. said...

I didn't know about your website but can't wait to check it out. My favorite layers? Has to be the sexual tension. As much as I love a HEA, nothing beats the build up. Great post!

Ingrid Seymour said...

I enjoyed your post. I agree with you on Carla, she's great :)

I love when a book surprises me in the end. A lot skills goes into making a story with layers that aren't what the reader thinks they are. Also romance is also a must!
And other things. There is just so much about story telling that is simply awesome!

Maureen A. Miller said...

Hello Amanda. Sexual tension. Ahhh...even a hint of it makes us tingle in anticipation. I love it!

Howdy Ingrid. Story telling is very much like a recipe. With the proper ingredients you have a great dish. A little too much salt and it all goes wrong... :)

Naima Simone said...

Hi, Maureen!
I'm so glad to find out about JustRomanticSuspense.com! How cool! I LOVE romantic suspense! The mystery, great twists and how an author involves all the characters and their stories in ways that culminate in a huge reveal! Sigh. Yes, I'm a bit over enthusiastic! LOL!

Thanks for letting us know about the blog, and the book sounds great!

Paula said...

Welcome, Maureen! As a fellow Romantic Suspense author, I was thrilled when you started your website. One of these days I'm going to get organized enough to make better use of it than I do!

Maureen A. Miller said...

Hello Naima. I love your enthusiasm! I share it. :) I think I became a romantic suspense fan back in the Scooby Doo days. Yes, I used to dream that Fred and Daphne would hook up. LOL

Maureen A. Miller said...

Hi there, Miss Paula! (waving)

You know I enjoy bragging about you on JRS. :)

Alison said...

Hi Maureen! I love JUSTROMANTICSUSPENSE...I try to visit as much as possible :)

Maureen A. Miller said...

Hi Alison. A big hug to you. :)

Tereasa said...

I really liked your blog and I just checked out Just Romantic Suspense. I'm looking forward to reading some of your books

Maureen A. Miller said...

Hello Tereasa. I'm so happy you stopped by, and I'm so grateful to Romance Magicians for letting me come over and meet everyone today!

bn100 said...

I like the happy ending and reading about how the characters get there.

bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

Shadow said...

I love romance! An escape from our world into theres..love it! I always look forward to the ending. Just to see if having one gets there happy ending. I will admit, more than once, ive started a book, and it was awesome but had me guessing, ill skip to the last chapter, just to see how it ends or if i was guessing everything right. lol Although, even knowing the ending, i go back and keep reading. :)

Nancy Naigle said...

I'm all about the happy ending, too. I like the addition of suspense because it just seems to get me that more anxious for the couple to be HAPPY EVER AFTER :)

Thanks for sharing, Maureen!

Maureen A. Miller said...

Hello Bn100. Good to see you here.

Hi there, Shadow. My mother would always read the last chapter first. I used to grab books out of her hand when I caught her doing it. LOL :)

Hi Miss Nancy. So happy to see you here. Thank you. :)

Carla Swafford said...

Thanks so much for visiting us, Maureen! You're such a sweetheart and I love your website and the premise of your book.

Carla Swafford said...

Aww! Thanks, Ingrid!

Maureen A. Miller said...

I'm happy to announce that ALISON has been chosen by random.org to win a Kindle or Nook copy of BEYOND. Congratulations Alison. Please contact me at maureen@maureenamiller.com to let me know your preference. Thank you to everyone who stopped by today! Hugs to all of you.

Shadow said...

lol My family trys to take my books too. lol They have even threatened by rip the last chapter out of all my books. They cant do it now that i switched to ebooks. hehe