Friday, October 12, 2012

“I saw my death in his eyes.” by KC Klein


The title above was a direct quote from my latest release, TEXAS WIDE OPEN, out November 15th (you can go ahead and pre-order, so you don’t have to try and remember on the 15th) with Kensington.

I do say “was” because my editor didn't like the sentence saying something about how it was too violent and would the hero really be thinking murder if he loved her? I was a good girl. I changed the wording, not a big deal. But I do have to disagree with her reasoning.

Honestly, I don’t know much about death, but being married for seventeen years, I do know something about love. And anyone married for any length of time is sure to have witnessed violence in their spouse’s eyes, and sure as hell is hot, the vice-versa has occurred.

Now, in the spirit of full disclosure there are two different versions of the time I saw pure crazy in my husband’s gaze. Being an honest person, I’ll point out the discrepancies and let you be the judge. We’d been married a few years, and my husband knew I had a habit of, shall we say, living in a dream world. He’d grown used to taking care of the day to day details, but there were times that I was asked to step up.

My husband had (In his version he says broke. In mine, I say lightly sprained.) his ankle. He was on crutches for a few weeks and could no longer drive to work and so had to take the bus. As a good wife I was supposed to pick up my poor, injured husband from the bus stop. Unfortunately, I forgot.

So yes, my husband had to walk on crutches (His version—a full mile in a hundred and twenty degree heat, which is possible since we live in Phoenix. My version—it barely broke a hundred and the distance couldn't be more than a half a mile.) all the way home. What was I doing that I forgot to pick him up? Curling my hair.

The image of my dear husband standing in the doorway, face beat red, dripping sweat, mouth foaming is still burned into my brain. And yes, for a split second, I did see my own death staring right back at me. There were a few awkward moments of him chasing me around the couch and me not about to get caught. (This time him being on crutches worked in my favor.) I think he finally sprawled himself on the couch too exhausted to limp after me anymore. Then I apologized, profusely.

Due to his sense of humor and my ability to make him laugh, he forgave me, and we’re still married eleven years later. But my point is in every relationship there comes a time when you wish the other person dead, even if you love them. Fortunately, we've never acted on those impulses (which would be bad), and my characters don’t either (because that would not be a love story, that would be a horror story). Every relationship has its ups and downs, and as with art imitating life, so do my characters. But it’s the thrill of experiencing the journey of how they get to the other side of happily-ever-after that makes writing romance so rewarding.

So, are you curious as to why the heroine sees her death in the hero’s eyes? I’ll give you a hint, it has something to do with his truck and a baseball bat, but you gotta read the story to find out. J

KC Klein loves living her dream of writing romance novels and sharing that with readers. If you like gritty, sexy, on-the-edge-of-your-seat-have-to-find-out-what-happens-next romance novels than check out her book, DARK FUTURE. You can download it to your Kindle here or your Nook here. If hot cowboys, honorable heroes, and sexy love stories is how you roll, please check out her newest release, TEXAS WIDE OPEN. You can pre-order it for your Kindle here or Nook here. KC loves connecting with readers. Follow her on Twitter and Facebook, and also her blog, Romance With an Edge.

KC is giving away a copy of her soon-to-be released TEXAS WIDE OPEN to one lucky commenter.

Just 16 more days before the cut-off date to register for Southern Magic's Romance Readers Luncheon in Birmingham, Alabama on November 3, 2012.  Click here to learn more. Over 30 authors attending with Sherrilyn Kenyon and Dianna Love. Free books and swag and much more.

22 comments:

Eli Yanti said...

ŴŎőŵ ∞٩(̾♥o♥)۶ so excited with this book especially because I loved cowboy

Eli_y83@yahoo.com

Ingrid Seymour said...

If you explained as well in your book as in your post, I don't understand why the editor would ask you to modify that line.

Is the editor a woman? Married? I've been married for 13 years. I think I've been that mad at my husband once or twice, LOL!

Lisa J said...

Definitely want to see why he wants to kill her. A bat and his truck, that doesn't sound like a winning combination for him.

Alison said...

From that line alone I want to read this book!

Naima Simone said...

You had me at "I saw death in his eyes." LOL! Your story is hilarious!! I agree 100%, by the way. My husband and I have been married for twelve years and there have definitely been a moment or two I've seen my obituary in his narrowed glare! LOL! Awesome post!

Na said...

I'm intrigued with her seeing death and that it involves a truck? Hmmm... I love the cover!
Cambonified(at)yahoo(dot)com

KC said...

So glad you guys got my sense of humor. I had a lot of fun writing that scene in the book. It still makes me smile. :)
As far as my DH goes it is now part of history and a family dinner doesn't go by that someone (usaully my brothers) doesn't bring it up.

I'm super excited. I can't wait for one of you to win my book.

bn100 said...

Interesting first line. Fun story.

bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

Twimom227 said...

I'm completely drawn in! I think it's a fabulous line. I usually read paranormal or UF, so if I saw that in a book, I would assume there was some premonition going on!

Good luck and Thanks!

Shadow said...

lol You have my attention and im ready to jump in and find out. Your poor hubby. I love it in a book when the hero is so mad, the heroine can see her death, and runs. Which makes him madder, but the making up part...whew! lol Your story sounds awesome! Thanks! :) Definitely adding to wish list.
shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

Arely ZPerez said...

Sounds like a great book! I can't wait to read it!!

Mary said...

KC,

What a fun post! Marriage definitely take a lot of work and an incredible sense of humor.

My husband almost wasn't when he accidentally left me stranded in a mall parking lot in New York state in the middle of a friend's wedding.

He swears he saw his demise in my eyes when we finally saw each other an hour later. LOL!

Can't wait to read your latest book!

Valerie Bowman said...

KC, You crack me up. The image of your poor hub trying to chase you around on his crutches cracks me up. I just pre-ordered Texas Wide Open and I can't WAIT to read it!

Mary Preston said...

You caught my attention. I think it's a powerful message being given in the story. Loved your anecdote.

marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Lynn Cahoon said...

KC - you are so funny. And yes, I think there are times when our significant other's want to cause bodily harm. Especially around a truck and baseball bat.

Tina Moss said...

Great story! Probably lucky for you that your husband was on crutches at the time. :)

Pamala Knight said...

That story is both hysterical and shocking--everything needed in a good yarn, lol. It's obviously true love because I've had to walk a few blocks in that Arizona heat and I know I wouldn't have lasted for half a mile, let alone on crutches. He's a keeper.

Thanks for sharing and giving us all a good chuckle.

Barbara said...

How funny, KC. I especially liked the two different versions you offered of the event. It's all in perspective LOL.

Looking forward to Texas Wide Ope1n

Barbara said...

Oops. Texas Wide Open!

mauratroy said...

LOL! I can just imagine his fury when he walked in the door! But I do hope that, once he'd forgiven you, he remembered to compliment your wonderfully curly hair. :)

Arleigh said...

Sounds like an excellent book! Ill have to check this book out even if i dont win!

KC said...

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments. I so hope you enjoy Texas Wide Open. I sent Carla the name of the winner for my new book. I can't wait for you all to read it! Thanks for the love
hugs!