Monday, September 17, 2012

My Kingdom for a Jimmy Choo!

"I still have my feet on the ground, I just wear better shoes." --Oprah Winfrey 


No one could really call me a clothes horse, but like most women, I love me some shoes. If I were slim, I probably would go for some crazy tall heels like these.  You can click on the caption and go to the website to purchase. You're welcome.

Vampire Shoes


Skeleton Shoes


Instead I stick to sensible flats like these (cheaper too - though the first are Nine West). Sorry, no links. I took pictures of my actual shoes. The first pair are beautiful with crystal hearts and flowers. The elastic that give them a slipper feel actually get tighter throughout the night as you can imagine your feet swell.


The different color rhinestones make them go with anything and even changed the color of the throw when I took the picture. Strange how that works.

I have to say the crystals embedded ones are sometimes a pain to walk in because – I swear I must walk funny – they come off so easy. But I love shiny things.

Yeah, I know these aren't flat - take my word for it as the heel didn't show up - but the chunky heel helps. I wore them to the Avon book signing in Anaheim this year.

All of that leads into what my characters' wear. Maybe not necessarily the shoes but the clothes. I swear they’re clothed more often than not. Pinky swear.

You will find I rarely go into detail about the clothing of my characters unless it plays a part in the scene. Not sure of what I mean? Check these out.
 
Starting with book one in The Circle series, Olivia in Circle of Desire knew how to dress for a man.
She’d dressed—better yet, undressed—specifically to push all thought of food from his mind. The lace-and-mesh deep ruby nightgown brought out the red highlights in her hair that flowed down her shoulders and made her skin appear a creamier white. Her full breasts tested the strength of the well-placed lace. Masterfully applied makeup emphasized the green of her eyes and the fullness of her dark red lips. Her bare toes peeked out beneath the edge of the gown and a fragile tinkle rang from her anklets, drawing his attention to her long, long legs as the slit at the side opened and closed with her every movement. She knew how to rein in a man’s interest.
 
Then there was Ryker in Circle of Danger. You could say he dressed deadly.
With sure, quick movements, he thrust his legs into jeans and yanked on a black T-shirt. After tugging on his boots, he strapped a small pistol at his ankle. With his patch in place, using his fingers, he combed hair over the strap securing its position. Hell, he needed a haircut again. Maybe he’d shave his head like Jack. A simple enough solution. If only the rest of his problems could be so easily solved.

In Circle of Deception, Abby feels confident in her looks for the first time.

The dress was nothing like she’d ever owned. Cocktail length, the cream silk hugged her in all the right places, dipping low in the front, but the back going high into a standup collar. The style reminiscent of the 1950s, maybe what an old time movie star would’ve worn. Beneath it she wore a lacy bra and garter along with a barely there thong. The whisper thin hose stopped at mid-thigh and slipped into matching high heels. She enjoyed the sensation of feeling sexy. This was a new experience.

So what is your favorite pair of shoes? Fellows, yes, we know there are men out there who have their favorite pair of shoes, boots or sneakers. Tell us about them.

Everyone who comments will be placed in a drawing for a $20 gift card from Amazon. Winner to be announce 9 p.m. central US time. And YES, you can buy shoes on line. The winner will have until Wednesday at 9 p.m. to claim their prize (send me an email carla @ carlaswafford.com). If not, then another winner will be drawn.

And REMEMBER that all who comment the next four weeks will be added to the pool of names to be drawn from for a KINDLE FIRE on October 16. The more often you comment throughout the four weeks, the more times you're entered.

If you live in or near Birmingham, or Alabama for that matter, or if you love SHERRILYN KENYON or DIANNA LOVE, be sure to check out Southern Magic’sReaders Luncheon November 3, 2012 at the Harbert Center downtown Birmingham. Parking is free. If you attend, we will be giving away books, swag and have opportunities to get more!

67 comments:

Jill Odom said...

I'm a Naughty Monkey girl myself. I love the boots!

Carla Swafford said...

Oh, my goodness! I just checked them out. And yes, I will be checking out my credit card to see if there is room on it. Thanks for feeding my addiction, Jill. LOL!

Serena Tatti Story Editor said...

Hi Carla,
Oh if only I could wear the Jimmy Choos. I'm a flats and sparkles girl myself. Flats for the comfort, and sparkles because - well who doesn't love sparkly things!!

Great excerpts too. I'm going to go searching for your books!

Ingrid Seymour said...

I love shoes and don't mind spending $$$ in a good pair. The problem is, after I buy them, wear them and then spend the night rubbing my feet -- because the shoes weren't only pretty, but also criminal on my toes -- the next day I want my flip-flops!

Maria Mohan said...

I'm not the tallest person around so I could certainly do with the height a pair of heels could lend me, but you know, I just find them so uncomfortable. I find wedges just perfect. You get comfort and a little bit of extra height too. They may not be the sexiest shoe around, but they're not that bad. You can't feel sexy if you're hobbling along and your feet are uncomfortable anyway. The best shoe colour I know is black - it may be dull to some, but it darn well goes with everything.

Carla Swafford said...

Me too, Serena! Love sparkles! Thank you!

Carla Swafford said...

Ingrid, I would wear flip-flops all year long, but the sad part is my toes would get so cold in the winter.

Carla Swafford said...

For years, Maria, I had a black pair and gray pair of pumps I wore to work and nothing else. Finally, in the day job I have now, I can wear all types of shoes. No more suits! YAY!

Maria Mohan said...

Hey Carla, isn't it funny how as we get older we're getting wilder and more liberated? Yay from me too!

Cari Hislop said...

I have flat feet so finding shoes is a pain. I've been wearing various "comfort" buckle shoes for years (my red Joseph Seibel's have been my recent favorites), but I'm in the mood for some old fashioned penny loafers if I can the right color.

I loved your excerpts. I think how different characters dress (or undress) is important. It can show an aspect of the character without spelling it out.

Tanja Haack said...

I wear slippers all year around. Seriously. Wisconsin winters can be brutal, but so what. I've learned how to walk in in snow wearing wedge like slippers. At least I'm not wearing flip flops like my 16 year old!

Kerry said...

OOkay - my DH says Im a shoe whore - yes I am (proudly) I LOVE my shoes from my high heeled boots to my sexy stilettos to my hiking boots and flip flops - I consider myself a shoe afficianado - yeah another word for shoe whore LOL! Great post!

Carla Swafford said...

Thanks, Cari. You're so right. It's funny how I didn't realize that until I pulled the excerpts.

Carla Swafford said...

Tanja, I have a pair of moccasin slippers that I love. Makes me remember the moccasins I wore as a kid. Native wear was a big thing in the 60s. Yes. I'm telling my age.

Carla Swafford said...

LOL! I understand totally, Kerry. It's amazing the lengths I'm willing to go to in finding the right shoes.

Ingeborg said...

I have a lot of shoes but it seems like I always grab my comfortable pair when going out. During the summer I wear my flip-flops most of the time.

Naima Simone said...

I want the vampire shoes!! Okay had to get that out...LOL! Your shoes are knock-you-out-in-the-parking-lot-after-our-meeting-for-your-shoes gorgeous, too, Carla! My favorite pair are my black stiletto boots. I LOVE them! The only bummer about summer is I can't wear them! LOL!

Desere said...

Boots,boots and more boots I just love them and I am most comfortable in them! Thank you so very much for the fabulous contest your the best !!!

Carla Swafford said...

Naima, aren't they gorgeous?! I love stuff like that - vampire, skeletons, skulls, etc. LOL!

Carla Swafford said...

Desere, last year, I bought my first pair of boots in a long, long time. The last pair I remember owning were white and I think I was 12 or 13. LOL!

You're welcomed. This contest wouldn't be possible without the help from lots of people! I'm also looking forward to all the posts in the next few weeks.

Chris Bailey said...

One of my characters absolutely swears by glitz. There's no room in her closet for anything that isn't shiny.

CrystalGB said...

My favorite shoes are my Crocs slides. I go for comfort before fashion. :)

Carla Swafford said...

Chris, I like that character! LOL!

Carla Swafford said...

You can't go wrong with comfort, that's for sure, Crystal.

Sarah said...

my favorite part of Fall is that it is boot season!!! I love boots and my favorite pair are my nice broken in knee high borns. Love them!!! I just cant wait for it to cool off a bit so I can rock them out!

D'Ann said...

Love, love, love shoes! I have over 200 pairs!!!

dldauthor@frontier.net

Carla Swafford said...

Oh, Sarah. I've always dreamed of having knee high ones!

Carla Swafford said...

D'Ann, I almost used this quote at the beginning, "I did not have three thousand pairs of shoes, I had one thousand and sixty."
Imelda Marcos

I figured you could appreciate that. LOL!

Bama said...

my black shoes :)

Bama said...

but I like those vamp shoes too...

Carla Swafford said...

Ingeborg, the computer must've hiccuped when I answered your comment. But I go for comfort most times except for those dressy moments that I know I can sit a lot. LOL!

Carla Swafford said...

Bama (Beth), those black shoes...do they have sparkles on them? :-)

The vampire ones are sexy, aren't they?

Roxanne Ravenel said...

Great clothing descriptions in all three, but I especially loved the ones posted for Circle of Desire and Circle of Deception. So funny because this is one of the things we debate in my critique group. I'm the only woman and the only one who writes romance. The guys are convinced that minimal clothing description is required b/c "men don't care about clothes, they only care what's underneath them." It's an ongoing discussion.

Bama said...

I wish they had sparklies... lol

Becky Jackson said...

Love the heels! Wish I could wear them. Even when I was young and skinny I was too uncoordinated for them. :)

Carla Swafford said...

Roxanne, that is so true about men and how they write. Not that it is wrong, only different. But they do miss out on opportunities to flesh :-) out the character. They could even call it part of the setting. Of course, then you get into another debate there. LOL!

Thank you.

Carla Swafford said...

Becky, after losing some weight last year, I thought I would try to wear a pair similar to those. LOL! I looked like a newbie drag queen wobbling around the store. Too funny.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but I am not a shoe person. Once in a blue moon, I see a pair that I like. I'm only interested in how they feel on my feet! :)
Pen

pmettert at yahoo

Alison said...

Love the shoes! After books and, they are my favorite thing to buy!

Jane said...

I love heels, but I'll have to go with the sensible flats for comfort.

Tiffany N. York said...

For the first time in my life I bought a pair of shoes online after seeing them in a fashion article. I've been looking for a pair of leopard print shoes for the longest time that weren't too high or too cheap looking, and lo and behold, I found them on zara.com. They look like paws. I love them!

Carla Swafford said...

Pen, no need to be sorry about not being a shoe person. Hard to believe, but I hate to shop and that's not normal for most women. :-)

Carla Swafford said...

I'm with you on that, Alison. Books are on top of my list too.

Carla Swafford said...

LOL! Jane, as you can tell, me too!

Carla Swafford said...

Tiffany, I checked out the site. Some awesome boots too.

Alison Rush said...

Vampuire Shoes Please.. And would love to have the KINDLE.. Have to keep up with the VAMPIRES...

Carla Swafford said...

Alison, it's nice to hear that some people still have a thang for vamps. I do. :-)

Crystal Coe-Benedict said...

First of all I wanted to say your books sound really good!

On my favorite shoes I love my opened back Keds. I have MS and believe it or not these shoes have saved me from falling several times. I kick the shoe off and it adds an extra step that saves me. I love shoes but stick to my keds for safety.

Carla Swafford said...

They do sound comfortable, Crystal.

Wanda said...

Love the shoes, lived in the ladies shoe department when I was younger. Then the kids came and I moved over to the kids shoe department. Now I'm all about the flats or tennis shoes.

Carla Swafford said...

Hey, Wanda, when the kids are grown up and out of the house, you realize buying shoes is fun again. :-)

JoAnn said...

I've always called those high, high heels "oxygen mask" shoes. :-) But I sure do wish I could wear them!

Carla Swafford said...

Sorry, I'm late folks.

The winner is Tiffany N York!

Congratulations! Email me at carla @ carlaswafford.com with your email address and I'll send you the Amazon Gift Card!

Thank you, everyone, for commenting!

Na said...

I love collecting shoes but unfortunately don't wear them as much as I should. I keep trying to break them in or some I can't wear for long and alas they go into my closet. My favorite pair of shoes would be my black flats. I can wear them with anything. They are so comfortable I could run in them! LOL. I have yet to find one as comfy as these pairs and hope they have a lot of life left in them.

Donna Coe-Velleman said...

I'm not really into clothes much but there's something about shoes that draw me in like a moth to flame.

M-square said...

I gained my love of shoes from my mother, who the family fondly calls "Imelda Marcos." Yes, she does own 100's of pairs of shoes. No, I have not reached her level of expertise yet, but I hope to some day lay claim to her style and taste.

Carla Swafford said...

Na, I know what you mean. I have several pair I don't wear because they hurt my feet.

Carla Swafford said...

Donna, it's an addiction for sure. :-)

Carla Swafford said...

M-square, LOL!

Maria Mohan said...

And there's another thing about living in India. Besides shoes, we have foot decorations. Traditional footwear is open sandals (chappals) and if you have time, you can get your feet tattooed with henna and wear foot decorations like toe rings and anklets. Anklets are worn mainly by young girls and new brides, but in my husband's community, toe rings are compulsory for the married woman - at least one on each foot. When I went into the labour room the very first time to have my first baby, I had three toe rings on each foot. I remember taking the birth position, seeing my feet and thinking 'what am I doing?' I still wear one silver toe ring each on the second toe of each foot and I normally do that even if I'm wearing shoes.

Now you've got my creative juices flowing, Carla dear. That's my next blog post topicj.

Lisa J said...

I have wide feet, so I'm a comfortable flats kind of girl. It's hard to find great shoes in wide width.

marybelle said...

I have a killer pair of books that I just love.

marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Carla Swafford said...

Glad to help, Maria. Your blog posts are the best. Hugs.

Carla Swafford said...

Lisa J, whenever I come across 'W' (wide) sizes, I'm ecstatic!

Carla Swafford said...

Books and Boots...me too. :-)

Shadow said...

Im not a shoe person at all. I have one pair. I hate shoe shopping. lol

bn100 said...

I like sneakers.

bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com