Wednesday, September 19, 2012

It's Talk Like a Pirate Day, Me Hearties!!!


“Hang that motherless scourge from the yard arms, young bilge-rat.”

“Rove that guttersnipe to a gun and flay him with whips, mid-shipman!”

“Brim-stone and gall, ye turn-coat!”

“I’ll pin you to the wall with this cutlass!”  Oh, Jack…  Sweet talker ye.  If I may be so bold, you can drop anchor in my port and tailor your trade upon me bones at any tide.

Pirates!  The motherless scourge of the sea, ground in sulphur and stench, grease monkeys the lot of ‘em.  What joy it is to be parlaying about me debut release and pirates on this day o’ days, Talk Like A Pirate Day.  Romance Magicians, ye be stout o’ heart, all great and good, by flint.  Thank ye for havin’ me, ye darlings of a rum puncheon.

I love pirates, me hearties!!!  It is fittin’ to be pickin’ Pirates of the Caribbean, Cutthroat Island, The Black Swan, Captain Blood, and Blackbeard’s Ghost, to name a few of the films which helped shape my writing.  Growing up on Errol Flynn and Tyrone Power, I LOVED the epic quality of pirate movies and especially pirate romance novels written by Fern Michaels, Johanna Lindsey, Kathleen Woodiwiss, Rosemary Rogers, and Bobbi Smith, to the modern-day Jennifer Ashley, Katharine Ashe, Shana Galen and Michelle Beattie.

Mateys, I cut my teeth on heroes with everything and nothing to lose.  Alphas bent on sacrificing all for the sake of the one— or many.  Men valiant enough to trudge through the trenches for the women they love in eras where love and sacrifice were gained with chivalry and courage.  And who, but a pirate, trained in thievery, is capable of unlocking the intricate workings of a woman’s heart, promising budding adventure or intense fear, or better yet, the quiet stirring of passion?  Speaking of which, “Yoo-hoo!!  Ja-ack!!!  I be missin’ ye.”

This has been a fabulous year for me.  I’m fortunate that the first book in my NELSON’S TEA Series, DUKE BY DAY, ROGUE BY NIGHT will be released October 29th from Crimson Romance!  What began as Master & Commander meets The Scarlet Pimpernel fed a fascination with Admiral Nelson, who never went without his tea in high seas or battle.  And so, in the early 1800’s, an unstable era between three powerful countries, England, Spain and France, it seemed doubly obvious Nelson would never be without his mercenaries, first sons of every tier in society, unsuspected by peers, men Nelson could count on just as much as he enjoyed his afternoon tea.  Out of that idea, Percival Avery, Marques Stanton, Lieutenant Henry Guffald and Garrick Seaton were born.

In DUKE BY DAY, ROGUE BY NIGHT, Constance Danbury is fleeing an arranged marriage to lecherous Lord Burton, a man whose blackmailed her father and is nearly twice her age. Her escape takes her aboard a merchantman bound for Spain, where she hopes an aunt will help her procure funds to save her father’s dwindling reputation. But fate intervenes. Constance is captured by a pirate with a wit and stubbornness to match her own, and a secret he’ll do anything to keep.

Nobleman Percival Avery is a member of Nelson’s Tea, an elite group whose members are first sons from every tier in society. Undercover, he disguises himself as a pirate to infiltrate the gang of cutthroats responsible for his sister’s death. But when his vessel attacks a merchantman with valuable cargo, Percy is forced to choose between vengeance and saving the life of his commander’s niece, Constance Danbury. Mutiny is sure to obliterate his well-laid plans. It also aligns him with the one woman sure to see through his disguise. Forced to play the fop by day to outwit his enemies, he masquerades as a rogue by night in order to avenge his sister’s death – and to win his true love’s heart.

It’s hard to believe that readers will be able to buy my book soon.  Yesterday, I got my uncorrected galleys and my book has popped up on Goodreads!!!  To celebrate, I’m giving away a prized treasure to one lucky commenter.  Jack didn’t slit any throats for this chest, but he did cock a pose and wrestle it most delightedly from a buxom wench.  Yes, feel honored.

 
What be your favorite of all pirates?  And if you could sail across the sea on a pirate ship, where would ye be bound?

Remember you must be living in the USA in order to qualify for this prize.  Also, any one who comments in the next four weeks will be added to the pool of names to be drawn from for a KINDLE FIRE  on October 16.  The more often you comment, the more times you’ll be entered.

And if you live in or near Birmingham, or Alabama for that matter, or if you love SHERRILYN KENYON or DIANNA LOVE, be sure to check out Southern Magic’sReaders Luncheon November 3, 2012 at the Harbert Center downtown Birmingham. Parking is free. If you attend, we will be giving away books, swag and have opportunities to get more
Katherine Bone
DUKE BY DAY, ROGUE BY NIGHT 10/29 Crimson Romance
www.katherinebone.com
 

49 comments:

Twimom227 said...

Did you switch your FaceBook account to English (Pirate)? I did that a couple years ago and it was fun. Thanks for the post. I have to admit that I've never read a pirate romance. Hmmm... May have to fix that.

Katherine Bone said...

Hey Twimom227! I love it when my FB page speaks pirate to me. Thanks fer watchin' me back. Tis a good thing to help friends.

I do hope ye'll give me book a try, mate!!!

RT Wolfe said...

Very fun, post. Thank you!
-R.T. Wolfe
Black Creek Burning (Crimson Romance, Septmber 2012)

Kristina Knight said...

bound for somewhere warm...preferably alone with Cap'n Jack, Katherine! But it would be okay if Westley's Dread Pirate Roberts made an appearance.

Alison said...

Such a fun post! My first pirate romance was Sabrina Jeffries THE PIRATE LORD...I loved it!

I'll have to try your book out when it releases :)

Ingrid Seymour said...

I've never read a pirate romance :| It looks like I'm missing on the fun! But when I think of pirates now, I can't help but think of Johnny Depp and his Jack Sparrow. Very unique and fun!

Betty Bolte said...

I loved reading Rosemary Rogers, even though my mom hated that I read her writing. She didn't think it appropriate when I wasn't even in high school yet, but oh my. I still have her books on my shelves. Just saying!

Keely said...

I don't have a favorite pirate but I would to headed wherever the ship took me. I am always up for adventure.

Katherine Bone said...

Thank ye for stepping aboard, R.T.!!! Ye been kind. ;)

Katherine Bone said...

Ahoy, Kristina!!! I'm partial to the Dread Pirate Roberts meself. Who wouldn't want a man who said, "As you wish," to every request.

Thank ye for steering the helm to some place warm. I've got a shiver in me bones this morn. ;)

Katherine Bone said...

Avast! Strip the mainsail and hoist the colors! There be a pirate lover in our midst. ;)

Ahoy, Alison!!! Aye. I neglected many other pirate authors in me post. Thank ye for including Sabrina Jeffries's book. I happen to have that favorite on me Kindle device.

I do hope you'll give me book a try. ;)

Katherine Bone said...

Tar and feathers! Ingrid!!! Ye be right to compare Jack to all pirates. He's a scallywag and ne'rdowell but he's got a way with the wenches. ;)

Me book begins with an epic battle forcing a duke's son, in disguise, to mutiny and save his commander's niece. The book goes from pirate ships to the ballroom, and the hero is quite the mixture of devil and fop to outwit the ton.

Cathy Stewart said...

I switched my FaceBook account to Pirate a couple of years ago and couldn't stop laughing! It was tons of fun. Might give it another try today in honor of the occasion :-)
I'm so thrilled about your book! Can't wait for it to hit the shelves. Great post today, Kathy!

Naima Simone said...

LOL! I love your post, Kathy! My favorite pirate of all time...hands down...is James Mallory from Johanna Lindsey's Mallory series! I love him! He is not only big, brawny and sexy, but he has the famous Mallory sarcasm! LOVE HIM!!

And congratulations on your upcoming release!!

Lisa J said...

Favorite pirate - has to be Ruark from Shanna (I love him!). I would love to be on a pirate ship to anywhere warm, it's taken a turn for the colder here).

Katherine Bone said...

Zounds, Betty!!!! Rosemary Rogers be the BOMB!!! Cut me eye teeth on her books, I did. I was an older wench-in-training at the time and me mum waved a flag of approval. ;)

Katherine Bone said...

Keely, Aye!!!! Keep yet weathered eye on that horizon. Ride the waves to adventure and treasure!!! Mayhap me hero Percy could fill the void. ;)

Katherine Bone said...

Cathy, I be waving the signal flag in yer honor!!! Thanks be to ye for desiring a go at me book!!! I'm more than honored!!! ;)

And thank ye for keying me in to the pirate speak on FB years ago. I've altered me own radar again today.

RedPeril said...

I'm going to have to confess my favorite pirate was also the first I was ever introduced to. (Well, outside of Captain Hook, but he's not much of a love-interest. >.>)

The Dread Pirate Westley...er...Roberts. True, he did speak with a beguiling British accent rather than using pirate-ese. But that's forgivable. Because he has a MASK. He's like...the Zoro of the sea. >.>

That's right, commence with the swooning.

~Angela Blount

Katherine Bone said...

Fire the cannons!!!! Two shots off the bow! Naimavixen a vixen to be honored. And you've ratted out one of the best pirates in literary history. Mallory was a boon to me soul and he's the model for all me heroes!!!

Four cannons firing in salute for the kind wishes!!!

Katherine Bone said...

Aye, Lisa J. Woodiwiss did it best, didn't she? Devoured all her books and plunged in for seconds and thirds and... She was a writer after me own heart. ;)

Sail ho!!! Steer towards the Caribbean, me hearties. Lisa and Kristina have drunk all the rum trying to stay warm. ;)

Katherine Bone said...

Aye, Angela, swooning for all. I demand it! The Dread Pirate Roberts cut a daring figure in black, complete with mask.

"What do you have to live for?"

"True love...".

"I distinctly heard him say, "To blathe."

LOVE it even now!!! Cut Angela an extra helping of rum in her grog!!!

Ingeborg said...

I haven't read a pirate book in a long time. I'll have to check my bookcase and read one.
Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com

Na said...

Arghh! I didn't know today was talk like a pirate day. It sounds pretty cool! One of my favorite pirates is Johnny Depp.

ljsimcox said...

Ahoy, Katherine lass! I hoist a pint o'grog to ye. Me favorite pirate be Edward Teach bein' that I cannot resist a man with a be-ribboned beard. (Not really, but he's kinda awesome.) Me favorite pirate romance be 'Blow Me Down' by Katie MacAlister. May the winds blow fair for ye and congrats on yer upcoming release!

Katherine Bone said...

Aye, Ingeborg!!! 'Tis the day for getting caught adrift with a pirate. ;)

Thanks for posting!!!

Katherine Bone said...

Arrrrr!!! Welcome to Talk Like a Pirate Day, Na!!! Ten gun salute in store for ye. The day started with Ol Chumbucket and Cap'n Slappy who wanted to share their piratitude with the masses.

Aye, lass. Cap'n Jack is devilish cur with charming appeal. ;)

Katherine Bone said...

Avast!!! LjSimcox, you spin a fine pirate tongue. Twenty gun salute, plus a skeleton flag in honor of your best Blackbeard. What a churlish captain, hideously feared with flaming beard and blunderbuss blazing. Ye have picked one of the best!!!

Thank ye for your kind regards for me book release!!!! Ye are a treasure. ;)

And, Blow me down!!! You've stumped me! (Resetting peg leg). I don't think I've read Katy MacAlister yet. I must away!!!

JoAnn said...

I have to get on board with the Sparrow-lovers. Yum! But also, one of my favorite, favorite movies when I was a wee thing was Disney's Blackbeard's Ghost. Still love it today. Arrrrr! :-)

Cari Hislop said...

I have a love/hate relationship with pirates. If memory serves, my very first historical romance was a Sylvia Thorpe pirate-romance. I loved it, but over the years I've become a jaded wench. These days I usually make fun of pirates (though I'd make an exception for Jack Sparrow). Your pirates will be glad to hear I can't enter the competition because I'm on the other side of the sea.

Johanna Denton said...

This is just wonderful! I can't wait to get your book, Katherine, as soon as it comes out.
I adore Jack Sparrow, but grew up on Emilio Salgari's "Tigers of Mompracem"- all in Spanish. And of course the Dread Pirate Roberts - who wouldn't swoon for such a hero?
Fetch me sum rum, wench!
Love the post.

Katherine Bone said...

JoAnn!!! Ahoy, matey!! You be salt of the sea. Blackbeard's Ghost has always been a favorite of mine since childhood. Happen to have a copy stashed amongst me treasure. ;)

Thanks for posting!!! Arrrrr!!! ;)

Katherine Bone said...

Aye, Aye, Cari. So sorry to hear pirates have left a terrible impression upon ye. I do hope you'll like mine as they are English and rove the English coast to Spain and back. I became very interested in the fact that little is known about smuggling along the Cornwall coast on this side of the pond. Oh yes, tis time to tell the tale.

Thank ye for posting!!!! Much appreciated!!!!

Katherine Bone said...

Avast!!! Ye scurrilous lads!!! Why is the rum always gone? Pirate vixen Johanna has a thirst to be quenched. She's by-lingual and a great asset to our crew. Make way!!!!

Now that the pleasantries have been awarded, I thank ye so much for yer kind offer to buy me book. Ye be wind in me sails!!!! ;)

Deborah O'Neill Cordes said...

Blimey that's good, Katherine! May your books make ye blitheringly rich in doubloon, treasure an' wisdom, may your blog continue t' shine, an' may ye continue t' speak pirate wi' th' best o' them!

Shadow said...

Awesome post! My first pirate book was Gentle Rogue by Johanna Lindsey. Its a favorite. I love it! :D
shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

Katherine Bone said...

Arrrr!!! Deborah, me comrade in arms. Thank ye for feeding me pictures of hunky heroes on the loops, matey. You be the best judge of the flesh!!!

Tar!!! That be a glorious blessing ye gave me also. Thanks be to ye. (The terms are met. You can find yer undead monkey stowed in yon gig)

Katherine Bone said...

Shadow!!!! Aye, tis a name for one of this pirate crew to be sure. Love yer handle, matey!!!

Ah, yes! The Gentle Rogue be a standard favorite, one for the shelves in me cabin. Great first book!!! I hope you'll check our books by Katharine Ashe, Shana Galen and Michelle Beattie. Definitely worth the voyage. ;)

CrystalGB said...

My favorite pirate is Captain Jack Sparrow. I would be bound for Australia. :)

Jane said...

I'm thinking it would be quite an adventure to sail with Blackbeard. I would love to sail to French Polynesia.

Katherine Bone said...

Aye, CrystalGB has joined us! Ahoy, lassie!! Thanks for posting!! :)

Thank ye for joining the ranks of those who LOVE Cap'n Jack. And Australia would definitely be a glorious point on the compass. (Twirling Jack round and round. What do ye wish for most, Jack?)

Katherine Bone said...

Ooh now!!! Jane wants to go to French Polynesia where the air is clear and colors abound. Aye, Jane. That be a great place to explore, to be sure.

Blackbeard was a stubborn, wily ol' pirate. Didn't go well to disobey him. No, it didn't. But he's one of the fiercest pirates known to man. Great pick, Jane!!!

Jennifer Mathis said...

id want to go somewhere in the carribean love

bn100 said...

I like Captain Jack. I'd sail to Tahiti.

bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

D'Ann said...

Congrats on your release! I love Crimson!

dldauthor@frontier.net

Katherine Bone said...

Ahoy, Jennifer! What about a heading to Tortuga? Clearly one of the best places for pirates to learn about our corsets. ;)

Katherine Bone said...

Bn100!!! Arrrr!!!! Tahiti rocks!!! Jack can set a heading for the islands if we can convince him that's what he wants most. But we'd probably have to promise rum. ;)

Katherine Bone said...

D'Ann!!! So delighted you joined us here on this day o' days!!!!

Thank ye kindly for your congrats and wishing success to you as well, wench. Crimson be swathed in romance and good taste!!!! ;)

Katherine Bone said...

Ye've all been great fun today, me hearties!!! Fifty gun salute to ye all and a winner to be announced in the morn.