Friday, August 10, 2012

Writer's House Tour

Designers do it. Charitable groups do it. I decided I could do it, too. Welcome to the tour of my writer-decorated home! 

The tour begins on the front porch, where a swing underneath a ceiling fan provides a grand spot for drinking iced tea while world-building. Just look at the possibilities. 

Inside the front door, you’ll find a basket full of catalogs and magazines--the source of materials for collages that show my main characters in their favorite places, wearing their favorite styles.

Lucky for me this old dog trot has a wide central gallery, suited to bookshelf after bookshelf, much like a small library, and a reading table with a giant open dictionary on it.

The living room has the obligatory TV. But more important, there’s a chair by the fireplace, and open space beneath the end table to stack the books that have yet to be read. 


Through these French doors is the banquet-sized dining room. The table can seat a dinner party of twelve, but it’s more often called into play as a fine surface to lay out scene cards. There’s plenty of space to manipulate the time line and add extra plot points, as well.

Moving on, you're welcome to pull up to a laptop on the kitchen bar. It’s a great place for research, though wireless throughout the house allows writing to go on anywhere.

The desk in the office accommodates a second computer, a few hundred books on the craft of writing, and scads of old journals and manuscripts-turned-scrap-paper.

In the sun room, there’s another cozy chair with an ottoman, just right for a change of scene

The laundry room? Let’s skip it. That’s where all the neglected housekeeping projects go. The only thing I can’t leave for later is the helper dog, who looks like he’s ready for a walk! 


Can your visitors guess in an instant that they're in a writer's house? 


9 comments:

M.V.Freeman said...

Chris--
I really want to visit you now. That porch alone....

But oh it sounds wonderful at your house.

At mine there are notebooks, scattered, books everywhere, on shelves, chairs, tables. Always a story going on...

Thanks for this--it is inspiring.

Chris Bailey said...

Come on down! Iced tea on the porch. There's always a nice breeze.

(BTW, I apologize for the post in all caps. Worked on that a long time--couldn't make it disappear, and afraid to get too deep into HTML. Once I got the photos to stick, I QUIT!)

Paula said...

You walk in my den, see the well-worn couch and laptop computer on a Table Mate II...see the headphones to drown out the TV while I write...

The writing books are stacked up over by the TV, next to the cable modem. Mostly stuff about murder, crime, profiling criminals, etc., because that's how I roll.

Yeah, if they turn their heads right, they could tell it's a writer's haven. Of course, they could as easily feel the need to call the FBI to warn them about a potential serial killer in the making, I guess...

I'd love to have a better writing area, but currently there just isn't one. So I sally forth into the chaos and write anyway.

Chris Bailey said...

And, oh, Paula, how prolific you are from that spot! Yeah, Homeland Security probably keeps an eye on you.

M.V.Freeman said...

Chris--Well since you offered Iced-tea....

I just may take you up on that. ;)

Paula--Sounds like a writer's haven to me....LOL

Louisa Cornell said...

I LOVE that porch! I would so love to have a porch like that on the front of my house! I am fortunate in that although I live in a trailer I do live alone (Save for the furry kids!) and I can spread my writing accoutrements all over the house. There are bookcases in every room and even down the hall. I have a long work table next to my desk which allows me to spread my research books out for perusal. I am working on turning the master bedroom into my writing studio as the room I have it in now simply isn't large enough.

Chris Bailey said...

Louisa, it sounds like the perfect cozy spot!

I'm certain this porch was an add-on. The house is very dog trot/plain Jane--I can see it as two rooms with an open hall and plain weathered plank walls when it first showed up on tax records in 1894. You should see the mess of roof lines in the attic! The charred beams from a long ago fire! The variations on foundation in the crawl space! Best improvement from our tenure: We moved the bathroom out of the laundry room/former back porch.

Cari Hislop said...

Love the view from that adorable porch! Or do I mean that adorable pooch? That smiling dog is so cute!

Your home sounds so lovely. I wish I had the talent for making a house a home. Most of my books have ended up in the living room, but would anyone know I was a writer...I don't think they would unless they went upstairs and saw my work room...maybe not even then. Weird. Maybe I need to stick a sign on the front door, "Beware - story hungry writer".

Carla Swafford said...

Great pictures, Chris, and inspiring scenery