Monday, August 13, 2012

It's Wine O'Clock Somewhere

Wine is one of the most civilized things in the world and one of the most natural things of the world that has been brought to the greatest perfection, and it offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than, possibly, any other purely sensory thing.
Ernest Hemingway
Death in the Afternoon

The virtue of the grape (and chocolate, but that is another post) is often extolled by writers. This got me to wondering, what is your favorite wine and why? For me, there is no competition for sparkling wine. Napoleon said it best, "Champagne! In victory, one deserves it; in defeat one needs it.”  Although, a close second is red wine - any kind will do.  Oh, but let us not forget our good friend white wine.  About a year ago I learned that Pinot Grigio left in the freezer makes an amazing wine slushy. But, I digress.  

So, please share your favorite wine or wine story with me.

8 comments:

M.V.Freeman said...

Oh Heather...

My favorite subject wine. I like robust red wines. Not sweet. I cannot do sweet.

Currently I'm enamoured with Merlot, but I like them all.

Now the only white I like is a crisp un-oaked Chardonney.

And you mentioned a wine slushy--I'm liking that idea. A lot.

Lexi said...

I'm with Mary, love the idea of the slushy! I don't like sweet wines, either, unless it's asti spumanti. I'm a merlot, Cab, gal, myself. ;-)

Carla Swafford said...

And if anyone would know, Ernest would. LOL!

I'm not much of a wine drinker, but I have found out I love Champagne. Thanks to Diane Richmond and JoAnn Weatherly!

Heather said...

Mary - the wine slushy was the result of my efforts to sic a chill on a bottle of wine by putting it in the freezer (and then forgetting about it). A pleasant accidental discovery (much more fun than the discovery of penicillin)

Heather said...

Lexi - I was Cab loyal then took a turn toward Shiraz and Zinfandel. Lately, though, I have been getting more and more Malbecs. Love me some red wine.

Heather said...

Carla - one of my favorite sayings is "A day without champagne is stupid." We all need some bubbly :)

Louisa Cornell said...

Not a wine drinker at all. Actually not an alcoholic beverage drinker of any kind. Never had even a sip. BUT, when I sell my first book I WILL be drinking champagne even if I'm on a walker by the time it happens. I have promised that when it does happen I will drink said champagne at Nationals with my buddy Anna C in attendance. I will either be on the floor or on a table dancing. Bring cameras.

Heather said...

Louisa - we will be popping the cork on the bubbly any day now! Can't wait!