Monday, July 02, 2012
The Wretched Ruination Of A Once Happy Reader
Okay, maybe ruination is a bit melodramatic and over the top, but reading is a different experience for me now that I am a writer. Here are some of the things I notice as a reader that I did not notice before:
9. World building—See Rowling and Martin above. Also, David Eddings BELGARIAD and HUNGER GAMES.
10. Conflict—the bane of my poor Libra existence. Why can’t we all be happy? Because no one wants to read happy, that’s why!
11. Sexual tension. Brown chicken, brown cowww!
12. Alpha and beta characters.
13. Foreshadowing—whooo ooooh.
14. Beginnings and endings—I now peruse books to see how the writer begins and ends a story, two things that most writers find challenging.
What about you? How has writing changed you as a reader?