Monday, July 23, 2012

A Chat with Paranormal Romance Author, Lexi George

The lovely and gracious Lexi George
This week is RWA nationals. There are many writers that are packing up and getting ready to go to this major conference of epic proportions. As for me, I am not. But instead of languishing with envy, I decided to interview some very interesting Authors. If I can't go to Nationals, I can bring some very cool writers here to talk to.

The 2nd book coming out July 31, 2012
Today I managed to lure Lexi George to come and talk with me. She is one busy woman and I admire her  so much. Her second book is due out "Demon Hunting in the Deep South" out July 31, 2012 and I had to find out more about her series.

You've just wrapped up series about Demon Hunting in the south--tell us about the third book! Book three is called Demon Hunting in a Dive Bar.  The heroine, Rebekah Damian, runs a bar for supernaturals in Hannah, and falls in love with Conall, the captain of the Dalvahni warriors.  Here’s the blurb:
Rebekah Damian runs a bar for demonoids.  Shifters, werewolves, you name it—Beck has seen it all.

Or so she thinks.  

And then he walks into her place:  Conall Dalvahni, six feet plus inches of pure, hard, mean and macho male, a guy with an attitude and an ego to match.  Beck knows how to handle herself in a fight, but she can’t fight her attraction to Conall.  Captain Grim really pushes her buttons, in all the right ways.  But, fight it she must, because Conall is a demon hunter and Beck is half demon.  Talk about a match made in hell. 

Besides, Beck has her hands full running a bar for supernaturals.  On top of keeping the regulars happy and the norms out, she’s got a vegetarian zombie, a temperamental bear of a cook, and an upper crust snooty toot ghost who wants to turn her dive into an upscale piano bar. 

Oh, yeah, and a death knelling feline harbinger of doom known as the Wampus Kitty scaring the bejesus out of her customers.  She doesn’t have time for a condescending jerk of a demon hunter, even if he is the hottest guy she’s ever seen and she wants to climb him like kudzu.   

No good demon but a dead demon.  Some truths are immutable, as far as Conall is concerned.  Until he meets demonoid Beck Damian, the raven haired, violet eyed offspring of his age-old enemy, and she rocks his world.  The demons have discovered a weapon to defeat Conall and his brother demon hunters, a threat to the Dalvahni race and the worlds they protect.  Conall suspects some of the demonoids may be in league with the demons, a number that includes Rebekah’s twin brother. 

What about Rebekah?  Can he trust her?  Dare he trust her? 

Experience and logic tell him no.  But his newly awakened heart urges him to risk all, body and soul, for love. 

No due date yet for Demon Hunting in a Dive Bar, but it should be out sometime in 2013.  Can’t wait to see the cover for it.  Kensington has done a wonderful job with the first two books.  Oooh neither can I! (You'll see some of those covers posted below). This books sounds fabulous and I can hardly wait. I am sorta wicked to entice the readers even before the second book is out. :) Ahh, I like being wicked...
The 1st book in the series came out in 2011
What was your favorite thing about this series?  Everything!  I love the juxtaposition of the humorless, immortal demon hunters with our larger than life, zany Southern culture.  I also love the fact that just about anything can happen in Hannah, Alabama (and does!), which makes for fun writing.  Shifters?  Check.  Werewolves?  Yep.  A demigod who takes on the form of a giant white stag—when he’s not in human form streaking naked through the woods?  Yep again.  Vegetarian zombie?  Coming right up.  Crazed vet turned Chihuahua serial killer?  Uh huh.  The possibilities are endless.  You had me demigod and Vegetarian Zombie--Oh this sounds like too much fun. (and I snorted water through my nose when I saw a Chihuahua serial killer....)
What was the easiest thing to write? Believe it or not, the warriors are the easiest for me to write.  They’re alpha male demon hunters, extremely logical and no nonsense.  I can identify with that--and they're fun. :)
What is the hardest thing to write?  Sex scenes, without a doubt!  I want them to be emotionally satisfying and, and the same time, sensual and romantic.  Not an easy thing to do!  I agree with that too. They make me nervous to write.
What's on your burner for the future in writing?  More paranormal?  I have ideas for at least three more books in the demon hunter series, I’ve got a fantasy romance I would love to see published, and I’ve got several more paranormal ideas kicking around. That's fabulous--I want to see more of your writing out there.
What is on your TBR pile? (I'd love to know!)  The Hunger Games—haven’t had time to read it.  And books 3, 4, and 5 in George R. R. Martin’s A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE series.  I’ve read books 1 and 2 and really enjoyed them, which is sort of weird, because I usually avoid dark stuff and Mr. Martin is definitely NOT sunshine and lollipops.  But, the books are so well-written and compelling I can’t resist. Oooh, George R.R. Martin's books are on my TBR. In fact I think the whole pile is now swaying. If you don't hear from me, then realize that the pile of books did fall and crush me. (Lets face it, for a reader/writer--awesome way to go). But I find it fascinating what you are reading.
Attending any conferences this year? Where?  Couldn’t make it to RWA this year, but I’m hoping to make it to Moonlight and Magnolias.  I am going to M&M, and I think its a great conference when you can't get to Nationals. I am looking forward to seeing you there. It will be festive!
Her novella came out in 2011
What is  your favorite fruit? (I like asking random questions like this)  I love all kinds of fruit, but if I had to pick one, I would have to say strawberries.  I can eat them until my head falls off.  ;-)Yum! I love strawberries, and blueberries...but my favorite is raspberries. There is something about berries--of all sorts that I adore.
Thank you so much for coming by and I hope to have you back again to talk more about this third book.
Author Bio: Lexi George is an appellate lawyer by day and a romance writer by night.  She started her writing career in the third grade penning bad poetry about hydrangea bushes and Erik the Red.  Ironically, she ended up marrying a Viking, a Northern boy who came to Alabama with the Air Force and stayed. 
She wrote poetry all through high school and college.  And then she decided to go to law school and the muse left in a huff.  The muse hated law school. 
The muse returned when Lexi’s oldest child was a toddler and Lexi has been writing ever since.  After piling up an impressive number of rejections on her first book, a fantasy romance that she worked on for more than ten years, Lexi decided to try her hand at something else.  The result was Demon Hunting in Dixie, a paranormal romance about demon hunters in the Deep South

The second book in the series Demon Hunting in the Deep South, come out July 31st.  Lexi has a novella in the Kensington anthology, So I Married A Demon Slayer.  Book three, Demon Hunting in a Dive Bar, comes out some time in 2013.

The muse is very happy, and so is Lexi.

Visit Lexi on Facebook and Twitter and check out her website at www.lexigeorge.com
Lexi’s books are available from:  Amazon.com, BarnesandNoble.com, BooksaMillion.com, indieBound.org, borders.com, or your favorite retailer.




11 comments:

Lexi said...

Thanks, Mary, for pimping me out! You are a pal. ;-)

M.V.Freeman said...

Any time--you're cool.

Besides, we have to commiserate together now that everyone else is going to nationals.

We need to have a mini-celebration here! ;)

Louisa Cornell said...

Stopping by to say I really enjoyed the interview, ladies !!

I'm so looking forward to reading Demon Hunting in the Deep South and I can't wait to read Demon Hunting in a Dive Bar. This is such a fun series because each book has characters we've all run into in small town Alabama!

The heroes are smoking hot, the heroines kick serious butt and the whole town is laugh out loud crazy. What's not to love???

M.V.Freeman said...

I agree with you there Louisa! ;)

Lexi said...

Thanks, Louisa! Isn't it fun to be Southern?

Chris Bailey said...

Thanks for the interview, Mary, and thanks, Lexi, for giving us a sneak preview of book 3!

Patricia Preston said...

Love the titles!

Heather said...

I love the vocabulary that is developing in your world!

Lexi said...

Thanks, Patricia! Coming up with the titles is half the fun. Heather, making up this stuff is fun, too!

Suzanne Johnson said...

Great interview, my friends! I can't wait for book two and now you're teasing us with book three (and LOVE the title)!

Lexi said...

Thanks, Suzanne! Of the three books, the first one was the easiest to write. No pressure at that stage!