Sunday, June 03, 2012

FRIED TO A CRISPY, CRACKLY CRUNCH

Last week, I turned in my third book, Demon Hunting in a Dive Bar. Silly me, I thought the process would get easier with each book.  That may be the case for some writers, but not for me.  Every book is like giving birth to a watermelon with spikes.  Somewhere, in Albuquerque, or Disney World, or Joe’s Bar and Grill that hormonal, temperamental sadistic be-yotch I call my muse is snickering in her martini glass at naïve li’l old me.  “Easy?  I gotcha easy right here,” she says, sending me a one-finger salute.  “Hah!”

But, the book is done and turned in.  The ending will have to be tweaked.  I finished the darn thing after a six day gruelfest that ended in 15 hours of nonstop writing on the last day, and sent it off to my editor at 1:30 a.m..  I was bleary eyed from exhaustion when I hit the send button.  The last chapter, which I wrote in a caffeinated haze of delirium, sucks a big old green one and will have to be overhauled, but it’s done.   For now.  I plan to let it congeal for at least a week and then look at it with fresh, non-bloodshot eyes and revise the ending. 

But, right now, I’m taking a break, reacquainting myself with family and friends.  The muse is doing whatever a-muses her while my brain cools off.  For the first time in months, I drift to sleep without plot worries and bits of dialogue nipping at me, and I wake up without my first thought being about the fripping, frapping, snog blasted WIP.  I am even thinking of cleaning my dirty house and, perhaps, working up the energy to deforest the mini jungle of weeds that has sprung up in my front flowerbed.  I’m not rushing into anything, mind you; don’t want to sprain something. 

Friday night, I actually cooked a hot meal for my family and flopped on the couch.  I drank a glass of hole-in-the-handle red wine—okay, TWO—and watched THE HOLIDAY, one of my favorite movies.   It was wonderful.  I finished the first book in the series A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE, and have started on the second.  I treated myself to a manicure.  Next week, I’m lunching with friends and getting a haircut. 

Somewhere in the back of my overcooked brain, I am mulling over ideas for the next book, the next series, the next whatever.  But, right now, I am a woman of leisure.

And it is glorious.

What do you do to detox after a writing marathon?


12 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

I've actually made a list of what I plan to do when I'm finished with this book. And everything has to be done in one week, as I need to start on a novella.

1) Clean my house. Includes cleaning out closets and kitchen cabinets.
2) Read books and movies I've bought and haven't touched yet for over a year. (Though I do find time to read some books on my e-reader during exercising.)
3) GO TO THE MOVIES! I miss that a lot.
4) One day of vegging out.
5) Organize my expense account and get it up-to-date. Geez! It's a mess.
6) Re-do my website. Still not happy with it.
7) Re-organize my study. It's a horrible.

I don't believe one week is enough time, but I'll work it out somehow.

Congratulations on finishing that book and not placing yourself in the hospital. Hugs.

Lexi said...

Thanks, Carla. Good luck on your deadline(s) and enjoy your week of "leisure." You need more than one day of vegetation!

Chris Bailey said...

Oh, Lexi, I am so proud of your accomplishments! I have not had the experience in forever of having a real, live, paid deadline looming. The last vivid deadline memory was a reward in itself, as I was forced to closet myself and write (brochure copy) for an entire weekend while [a not to be named visitor] entertained herself! In celebration of meeting that deadline, I waved as the car drove away.

My first inclination, whenever I come off a big deadline, is always the self-preservation stuff. Clean laundry, clean house, organize mess created while throwing notes around, get a pedicure, lose the roots. Ahhhhhh. Enjoy your success.

Lexi said...

Thanks, Chris. I am enjoying flop time. Today, I made a kickass pot of gumbo. Turned out pretty darn good, if I do say so myself!

Suzanne Johnson said...

Ah, the post-manuscript collapse! After I turned the last one in, I cranked up the DVR and watched all 11 episodes of "Swamp People" I had recorded. True dat, chere. Enjoy the downtime before the revisions roll in!

Lexi said...

I'm more of a DUCK DYNASTY gal, myself, Suzanne. Hee hee.

M.V.Freeman said...

Omg! I watched the Holiday this weekend too!!!
ANd YAY!!!! YOU FINISHED!! WOOHOOOOOO
I have to celebrate that is too cool. ;)
And I agree with Suzanne...sit back relax until the fun begins.

Louisa Cornell said...

I actually have to get through a marathon first. At the present my writing is like a tortoise on a five mile hike !!

However, once I finish the current WIP I fully intend to :

Sleep for about a week.

Clean up this hovel of a house.

Take a machete to the weeds encroaching on my back porch.

PROBABLY break my diet long enough to eat something loaded with calories, chocolate and completely bad for me.

And I intend to line up all of the movies in which Gerard Butler appears nekkid and watch them back to back!

Lexi said...

Mary, I am tackling my filthy house in stages. Yesterday, I took down the curtains in my bedroom and bath and washed them and cleaned the woodwork. I am pooped! Also cleaned out hubby's closet. The flowerbed is still a jungle, though . . .

Lexi said...

Louisa, it sounds like a good plan, especially the nekked Gerard Butler movies. Sigh.

Lexi said...

Mary, I am tackling my filthy house in stages. Yesterday, I took down the curtains in my bedroom and bath and washed them and cleaned the woodwork. I am pooped! Also cleaned out hubby's closet. The flowerbed is still a jungle, though . . .

Milliscent Morgan said...

I found this page so nice because it talks about calgary magicians, and I know that kids love it.