Thursday, May 31, 2012

Introducing...Susannah Sandlin & Redemption

Susannah Sandlin* has her debut paranormal romance coming out on June 12, less than two weeks from now. (Sounds of cheers, coughs, and choking sobs.)

It's been a long road for Redemption, the first in the Penton Legacy** series. She started it in November 2010 when she and one of her crit partners got the bright idea to do NaNoWriMo--that annual march toward self-emolation wherein normally sane author types test their mettle by trying to complete a novel, or at least 50,000 words, within thirty days. Crit partner Susan bit the dust after two weeks but Susannah plowed stubbornly on, and by the end of November had a big, 60,000-word mess on her hands.

It sucked--just ask her. She'll tell you. It was the first (and last) novel she will ever write as a pantser, and she had to take it apart and do an outline, then put it back together. Which took another three or four months and grew to 85,000 words. Then she learned it straddled the line too much between urban fantasy and paranormal romance without committing fully to either genre, so editors didn't know what to do with it. It came apart again, and ended up at 96,000 words. It finally got finished. It won the paranormal category in the 2011 Chicago North RWA Fire and Ice contest.

Better, it sold as part of a trilogy proposal to Montlake Romance in January, with all three books scheduled to come out this year. Except books two and three were a gleam in Susannah's eye. She just turned in the manuscript on book two, Absolution, to be released in September. Book three, Omega, is still gleaming in the old iris but she's beginning to daydream of scenes, which is usually how it all starts.

Congratulate her. I don't have the heart to do it. She's saddled me with a second website, a second Twitter account, a second Facebook page, a separate email account, and a second Goodreads account. She's drowning me in passwords and online minutiae. The brazen hussy even wants me to blog for her every once in a while.

Susannah and I will be doing a live chat over at Savvy Authors (www.savvyauthors.com) from 8-9 p.m. CDT on Wednesday, June 13. The chat is called "Help Wanted: Clone!" for reasons that should be obvious. Come and talk to us, er me, er her. Whatever. It's free after you register on the Savvy site.

In the meantime, keep your fingers crossed for Redemption and the sexy Irish vampire named Aidan, the Gallowglass Scottish warrior named Mirren, and the tortured, brilliant William. The Penton Legacy is their story.

*Susannah Sandlin is me. Well, actually, Susannah Sandlin is Suzanne's great-great-great grandmother, who is buried in Blount County and most likely rolling in her grave that her name is being used on a book about a vampire apocalypse in Chambers County, Alabama.

*The series is called the Penton Legacy except on Amazon's Japanese site, where the audio CD has explicably been named the Pentagon Legacy. Susannah's probably been put on a watch list.

13 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

WOW! Suzanne..uh..Susannah! Two names, two series, two of everything but one person with a day job. WOW! Congratulations!

Suzanne Johnson said...

LOL. Thanks, Carla...I'm starting to feel as if I have a split personality. This is not a good thing :-)

M.V.Freeman said...

My heart stopped...two identities! ACK!

And I'd like to talk to you about the line between Urban Fantasy and Romance---I cross both all the time and I never settle on the one.

I'm interested in reading this one for sure! ;)

Suzanne Johnson said...

We'll definitely talk genre, Mary! The differences are subtle, but they're there. More for editors, I think, than for readers :-)

M.V.Freeman said...

Excellent! It actually would help my clarify a few things that I'm looking at coming up here.

Thank you so much!

Martha Lawson said...

Sounds wonderful! Love paranormals, definitely going on the to buy list. Congrats!

mlawson17 at hotmail dot com

Chris Bailey said...

Amazing! Congratulations on your duality. I'd love to talk genre, too.

Suzanne Johnson said...

@Martha--thank you!

@Chris...Sounds like we have a good topic to talk about, UF vs PNR!

Louisa Cornell said...

More great paranormals for me !! YAY !! Keep 'em coming!

And I always DID have you pegged as a bit schizophrenic!

And now that you've made me feel like a slacker, back to the salt mines I go!

CONGRATS!

Suzanne Johnson said...

LOL, Louisa--yep, just a little bit of split personality going on here :-)

Cari Hislop said...

I'm in the choir singing, "You're Amazing!" When I finish the book I've been working on for four years I'll be buying myself a BIG treat. Two books from different series heading out into the world at nearly the same time is very impressive! Facing two similar dated deadlines for two series is even more impressive. I wouldn't be able to do it.

Lexi said...

I have to go take a nap after reading this. I do NOT know how you do it! I am impressed and amazed. The series sounds fantastic, BTW!

Suzanne Johnson said...

Thanks for the comments, guys. I don't think "amazing" is the word. I think "idiot" is the word. I really didn't PLAN this...and I don't think I'll try it again! Fortunately, I don't see the Redemption series as open-ended, just a trilogy. So about Christmas I'll be twiddling my thumbs with nothing to do :-)