Thursday, May 10, 2012

Desperately Seeking Advice!

So this Saturday is my first local book signing...in the town where I live. Eeeek! Now I know it has to be better than my first-ever book signing earlier this year at the Silken Sands Conference at Pensacola Beach, where I didn't have any books and the Barnes & Noble lady ended up having difficulties and not being able to bring the ebook codes for my books. However, on the plus side: I was surrounded by my Southern Magic and quite a few of my twitter friends.
And that made all the difference -- I was able to smile, joke and handout signed postcards.
The good news is for my second book signing I will have books! Two lovely boxful arrived recently in the mail. Here, I'll give you a closer look at A Tale of Two Djinns cover:
Nice, right? Now, I love my cover. It's sexy, but classy in an Adam & Eve kind of way, and brings in the nature elements that really represent my earth djinns and water djinns. Love the cover! However, now I'm publicly stepping out of the writing closet. My hometown -- in the middle of West Texas -- will see that the family-friendly food journalist has a very different side to her...and that's freaking me out. Of course, the intelligent part of me is arching one eyebrow and saying: Seriously? A woman has many facets. Just accept that, know that your local friends and family will be there, and stop with the panic attack. But the panicky side of me is running around in circles waving her arms in the air and ignoring the other. So, in lieu of my Southern Magic pals flying down to West Texas for moral support (If you do, I will truly appreciate it and put you up!), any advice on how I can survive my first local book signing?

10 comments:

M.V.Freeman said...

Caffeine. Humor. And just hanging in there.

I really wish I had great advice--and that we could rally around you. ;) But, know we cheer you on and you will do AWESOME!

Rashda Khan said...

Thanks M.V.!I know I just have a bad case of nerves...need to figure out how to calm them. :)

Heather said...

Just be yourself - they will love you! Be sure to post pics of the signing so we can share in the fun.

Also, you may want to check out this Jennifer Echols video from a signing - it shows how to handle the most commonly asked question :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VC7yv8KJPE

Rashda Khan said...

Thanks Heather! You're always so resourceful...and I'll tell the DH to snap away! :)

Chris Bailey said...

It's a good thing you have some level-headed Romance Magicians to offer sound advice. Personally, I'm all over the panic attack.

Katherine Bone said...

Chocolate! Helps every time. ;)

Wishing you all the best!

Carla Swafford said...

You handled the Pensacola incident beautifully and with much grace. It will be a surreal feeling, but enjoy every minute of it. You deserve it. HUGS.

Cari Hislop said...

I've never done a book signing so I haven't really got a clue, but knowing myself I'd be one of those mega freaking out. I'd probably have to dress up as Jane Austen to channel her nerves and give myself a sort of Jane Act so I could overcome the panic and threat of falling over in a dead faint every few minutes. Costumes of some sort are good because one you stand out, two if you look slightly silly you look more approachable and three they can create a protective mental wall (I know this professional clown who's quite shy until he puts on his clown face - not that I'm advocating dressing up as a clow)...

My other thought is, if I were you (and if it's allowed) I'd have a big pretty glass bowl of candy or chocolates on the table to sort of lure people to the table. Most of the readers will be as nervous as you so it would give them something do with their hands. If they say they're diabetic...presto...well that's when you can say, "Who needs candy when you can read a good romance?" This would be me in your shoes! I'd probably scare the readers...but they wouldn't forget me!

Suzanne Johnson said...

Just try to relax and have fun with it! The worst nerves are before it starts, and then it'll all be okay. Just remember that the people who come are there because they support you! And, yes, giveaways are good and you can't go wrong with chocolate!

Rashda Khan said...

Thanks for the great suggestions y'all!

I did consider dressing up as a djinn, but let's think on that. Great ideas about the chocolate!

If nothing else, I'll have some to snack on! Thanks for the warm wishes!