Monday, April 16, 2012

Southern Hauntings

I love ghost stories, especially Southern ghost stories.  My elementary school librarian told my mother I used to check out Thirteen Alabama Ghosts and Jeffrey by Kathryn Tucker Windham at least once a month.  To this day, when I go to Montgomery, I drive by Huntingdon College and remember the tale of the Red Lady, and you bet your sweet bippy every time I have court in Pickens County, I swing by the old courthouse to take a peek at the "face in the courthouse window."

What is your favorite ghost story?  Share it with me. One commenter will win a copy of SUMMER GOTHIC, a collection of summertime ghost stories from Alabama authors, including Southern Magic's Suzanne Johnson and Ingrid Seymour.  I will announce the winner  in the comment section on the evening of April 17. 

10 comments:

Chris Bailey said...

Tell me the truth--is it more reasonable to look for the face in Pickens County, or Tara when you're driving through Georgia? Either way, we are fictionistas, caught up in the magic.

Heather said...

Fair point! I think my affection for ghost tales is more the love/appreciation of the art of storytelling than anything else.

JoAnn said...

Our 1994 Dodge Caravan was haunted. :-)

Heather said...

JoAnn - Love it! Did you have to exorcise the demons from it, or allow the haunting to pass to a new owner?

M.V.Freeman said...

I used to love ghost stories...especially the sad haunting ones--it appealed to my imagination.

I need to find that book you mentioned--just to see the stories from around here. :)

Heather said...

Mary - 13 Alabama Ghosts and Jeffrey is a rite of passage! You'll love it.

Betty said...

Oh, so many to choose from! The house in Eldersburg, MD, that had blood stains on the pillows on the ratty sofa in the abandoned house. Complete with moaning and creaking and footsteps. Or my brother's house that the attic creaked and groaned, the door up the steps opened by itself every night while they slept. Or the hand that touched my dad when he was a boy, comforting him when he felt miserable. Ghosts, spirits; either way, we don't know for certain what/who they are; we can't explain the unexplainable. I just hope my parents don't haunt me. ;-)

Heather said...

Ooooh Betty - those are some good stories!

Heather said...

And the winner is (darn it, where did I put that timpani - it was here a second ago) . . . Betty!

Cari Hislop said...

JoAnn: now that you have our attention you have to tell us the story! How did the ghosts haunt the caravan? It sounds like a great short story waiting to be written!

I LOVE reading real ghost stories. I'll have to look up a book on Southern Ghosts! I think it's the fact that there's only so much of the story told and the reader has to imagine the rest.

I prefer reading about ghosts to actually dealing with them. Am I a chicken? Heck yeah! Chickens are cute!