Thursday, April 26, 2012

Back in the Chair

Exercise.  Hum.  Good for the body.  Yet, for me, despite knowing the benefits and loving the rewards, it can be so hard to start back once I've stopped for a period of time. There's always the promise to do it tomorrow.

Same is true of my writing.  I have been knocked out of the chair for quite some time now.  I've had a few false starts only to stall out.  Sure, I have reasons.  Same as exercising, there is always some reason not to write today.  This happened.  That needs done.  Life continues no matter what.

So tell me, what do you do to get back in the chair and stay there?

5 comments:

Lisa Dunick said...

It usually involves shipping my kids off somewhere....

Carla Swafford said...

Whenever I feel put out by life or writing, I start a new story. Yes. I have over twenty stories started and eleven finished along with one short story. Yes. I use to start a new story quite often. It helps. Sometimes it even helped me get back to the original book I was writing.

Lexi said...

Guilt and panic: works every time!

Louisa Cornell said...

Sudden inspiration. A scene that won't let me go. Going to work and realizing how much I HATE it and would rather spend my days writing.

Kat said...

Hummm, shipping the kids off might help... ;)

Carla, I think I may give an older rough draft a revision to see if that gets me back into a writing grove.

Lexi, maybe a good dose of that would help.... :)

I'm with you Louisa!! I'd love it if writing books was the only "day job" I needed to pay the bills.