Thursday, February 02, 2012

Do it NOW.

The theme for today's blog post is short and (bitter) sweet (with a lot more bitter than sweet): Back it up. As in your manuscripts, works-in-progress, books, pictures -- your hard drive. Copy it to a portable hard drive, send it to a cloud, put it on flash drives or DVD. At the very least, print the irreplaceable stuff or e-mail it to yourself. Stop reading this blog right now and go do it. I mean it. Don't have the attitude I had -- "I'll do it later." Doesn't matter if you're on a roll or in the zone. Stop and back up. It should be part of every writer's mantra.

2 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

Ooops! Sounds like you've had some trouble lately. I have an external harddrive I back up. It use to do it automatically, but I pushed it off my desk one time and now I've be having problems with it. Anyway, I also download every other day to a flash drive and once a month to a YAHOO loop. Yes. I overdo it, but this is valuable stuff. :-)

Heather said...

I LOVE dropbox. I backup up to it religiously in addition to backing up to an external drive (dropbox is there in case an asteroid hits my house and I lose the external drive). You get a decent amount of storage for the free dropbox account, and you can grant other people access to files (great for working with critique partners). I swear, I'm not on the dropbox payroll.