Friday, January 13, 2012

What's Your Lucky Number?

I think everyone has a number they consider lucky. Over the years I've favored 7 and 16.  Since my birthdate is July 16, that's understandable, isn't it?

When I was a teenager, my grandmother told me that she considered the number 13 to be lucky. Over the years, I've embraced it too. (Click here to read a little about it.) In fact it was on April 13, 2011 that I submitted my manuscript to Avon and they bought it three weeks later. And today, I realized that same day I'd blogged here about Red Shirt Editing. One of my favorite posts.

Since receiving The Call, I've talked about the number 13 being lucky for me and even how my grandmother reached out from the grave (woooooo, scary) and told me something was going to happen. I just wasn't sure it was good or bad. Anyway, I wrote a post at the time about it here.  And then how the number showed up here. And here.  All tied in with me becoming published.  Sorry for all the links, but it's easier for me that way.  I've got to get back to my editing.  CIRCLE OF DANGER is finished and my editor is waiting for me to change some things. 

By the way, I've also decided #3 is a good number too. My unpublished manuscripts have landed in 3rd place often enough in contests. And last and this week, CIRCLE OF DESIRE has been #3 on the Erotica bestseller list in the iBookstore! And once in #2! I've always said nothing wrong with being 3rd place as long as it's on the New York Times. Though iBookstore isn't quite that big, I'll take what I can.  LOL!

So Friday the 13th doesn't scare me. I actually celebrate when it comes around.

What about you?  What is your lucky number? And why do you feel it is?

12 comments:

Isis M. Nocturne said...

I have several lucky numbers: 3, 9, 13, 16, and 69. In math, 9 is a magic number, and if you multiply 9 by pretty much any number, add answer together until you have a single digit left. You WILL end up with 9. 3 is a multiple of 9. 13 has been a lucky number for me for as long as I can remember. 16 is the day I was born (February 16). And 69, though others may think it's dirty, is actually a unity number to me. When you put the two digits together, you create a rudimentary yin yang symbol. I just love that balance. :)

Christine said...

13 is a lucky number for me in that I've got a niece born on that day, a grandfather born on that day, and I believe my father's train ride back to safety after being rescued from the Japanese concentration camps was on the 13th of the month. The train in front and the train behind his got ambushed. Dad's did not get ambushed. I have a special bond with the number 3. My daughter loves to count by 3's and can look at any number and know if it is divisible by 3 and her birthday/year/month all add up to a number divisible by 3. I see things in groups of 3 and they calm me or give me hope. Often it is birds flying in groups of 3 that do this for me. My birth year also ends in a 3. I could go on and on but there is a magical quality to this number and a mystical quality in that it is a trinity number -- father, son, holy ghost. And so on and on.


And 7. I love the number 7. I don't know if it brings me luck or not, but I just love to write it down.

Lisa Dunick said...

I've always liked 8, but I have to admit I made 13 one of my lucky numbers when the midwife *finally* agreed to induce my youngest on that day. Everyone asked if I was worried to have him born on the 13th, and at that point I was so grateful that I wouldn't be pregnant anymore that I decided right then and there that 13 was lucky, lucky, lucky. :O)

Cari Hislop said...

Congratulations on being third!

Speaking of luck, if you haven't read The Luck Factor: The Scientific Study of the Lucky Mind by Richard Wiseman I highly recommend it! Based on 10 years of research, it outlines four basic principles of creating "luck".

Carla Swafford said...

First, let me say, I'm really, really sorry for the cut up/link driven post. LOL!

It's kind of typical of me. I was so excited when I realized last month that would get to post on January 13. A Friday 13th no less. And I could talk about 13 being a good number with a bad rap and then before I knew it, it was 11 p.m. that night! OH, NO!!

I hurried, trying to beat the clock before it hit midnight. So here you are reading a chopped up mess. But it appears everyone was good natured about it and went along with the spirit of the whole thing.

So I thank you!!!! And now...

Carla Swafford said...

That's so cool, Isis! 69 is also a number associated with the Cancer sign. And July is Cancer.

Though I'm not great at math, I love numbers and we all know numbers are what created the universe. Ask any physicist. :-D

Plus we're looking at this information on line and that's created by a lot of zeroes and ones.

Carla Swafford said...

Amen, Sister Christine!!

Carla Swafford said...

Considering, Lisa, how adorable both of your boys are, I believe you're so right! Hugs!

Carla Swafford said...

OH, Cari! I'm going on line in about 13 minutes (couldn't resist saying that) and ordering it. I love stuff like that. Thanks!

Bama said...

right now 25 is my fave number:D

Carla Swafford said...

Hey, Bama (Beth)! Twenty-five. That's a good age, so I can see it being a good number too.

Thanks!

yellowrose said...

Friday the 13th is the day, years ago, that I broke my ankle for the 2nd time.