Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Welcome 2012

A few weeks ago, I received my box of Golden Heart entries to judge. I always get excited when I get this box because I love doing this. I love reading new romantic stories and I love encouraging writers. But the main reason is I get to be the kind of judge that I hope will be judging my entry. I know it won't have any effect on the actual judges who are reading my entry, but it's a karma thing, you know? Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

That's my goal for 2012 -- implement the Golden Rule in all aspects of my life. To be a nicer person. And when a jerky person cuts me off in traffic or yells obscenities at me when I (accidentally) cut him off in traffic, I will do as my very nice friend Carla does and give him a big smile and a friendly wave.

Nice matters.

Happy New Year to all!

7 comments:

Lexi said...

Good for you! The world needs more nice. I know I ran into some not-so-nice judges in some of my forays into contest-dom. Ouch!

Karen said...

You're right, nice does matter! There isn't enough of it around these days, either.

JoAnn said...

Thanks, Lexi -- looking forward to your program at the Southern Magic meeting in a couple of weeks!

JoAnn said...

Exactly, Karen! Hope to see you soon!

Louisa Cornell said...

As someone who deals with customers who take Walmart's "The Customer Must Win" policy to ridiculous limits, I appreciate an attitude of "nice matters." Just wish those customers thought so! Of course, I have no choice but to smile and make nice with the customers. And for the ones who are really nasty, I always try to insert at least one "bless your heart" into the conversation. True Southerners know exactly what that means!!

And I always make an effort to include notes about what the writer does right in any of my contest critiques.

JoAnn said...

Thanks, Louisa -- I think everyone should have to work retail or wait tables at least once in their lives. Truly makes you appreciate the nice people!

Carla Swafford said...

I actually blow them a kiss. LOL! It freaks them out.

You go, girl!!! Hugs.