Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Dream Chaser

"To accomplish great things, DREAM. We must dream as well as act"
~ Anatole France

The above quote hangs on a wall in my office, positioned straight in front of my desk. It is an everyday reminder to chase my dreams, whatever they may be. It helps me remember two of the three most important ingredients to accomplishing my goals. First, I must have a goal. Second, I have to do the work. But the third unmentioned necessary to this equation: support.

Truth is, no matter what we do in life, no matter what we are going through at the moment, having a great support system is crucial. Same is true about writing. I can honestly say I've never read an interview where the author said, "Nope, I done it alone. Wrote this masterpiece in one sitting and it was ready for print." Not happening for even the most talented writer. We all depend on someone to help us though the bad and celebrate the good, whether it is a spouse, a friend, or a critique group.

All this to say, be a dream chaser and do the work. But, just as importantly, keep good people in your life. Surround yourself with supportive honest people. Anything less simply isn't worth your time and will shut you down as a writer.

3 comments:

Katherine Bone said...

I love the quote about dreams, Kat. ;)

It's easy to lose sight of our dreams when everyday life gets in the way. I'm going to hang this quote by my computer to help me remember to keep things in perspective.

Carla Swafford said...

Kat, you got that so right. It's always good to dream, but to make that dream come true, a person must work hard. So true.

M.V.Freeman said...

Kat,
This is true, you have to surround yourself with those that are helpful..and to work hard.

I think dreams are the hope as we write, because the reality is much more gritty.

Thanks so for this post! :)