Friday, January 27, 2012

Do you like Romantic Suspense? Meet Leslie Tentler.


I have had the opportunity to meet some wonderful people this past year, and I am making an effort to introduce them to you on this blog. I am fascinated by other writers—what they write and why.  
Leslie Tentler is the author of the critically acclaimed Chasing Evil trilogy from MIRA Books. Her third novel in the series – Edge of Midnight – releases February 1 and to celebrate, she’s giving away a free copy! Comment below to enter for a chance to win.

What drew you to writing romantic suspense?
I love the elements of danger in romantic suspense stories, and the heightened passions that come along with that. While no one really wants that kind of danger in his or her real life, I’d think, it’s exciting to see it play out from the safety of a book. I’m especially drawn to male characters that act heroically and can be brave even to the point of foolishness when the stakes are high.—I’m with you, to be able to play it out in a book is preferable.

 How do you research and where do you find your info?
The Internet is a wonderful thing! For all three of my books, I relied on it heavily. For example, for Midnight Caller, I did online research on vampirism and the Goth subculture, as both played key roles in the book. But I also had a good working knowledge of New Orleans, which helped with the city’s description and geography. 

In Midnight Fear, my heroine is a former D.C. socialite who runs a non-profit equine therapy program. I loved the idea of the setting, but knew relatively little about horses. Fortunately, I had a friend who grew up showing and jumping horses, so she helped me a lot with descriptions. 

In my current book, Edge of Midnight, my heroine is a newspaper reporter covering a crime beat. I know several former reporters and was able to pick their brains on their jobs and how the industry is changing in the Internet age. 

So I guess you could say my process is a mix of online research and personal interviews.-I find research, especially if it’s outside of what you know personally fascinating. In each book you bring in some very interesting occupations and information (yes, I love the whole vampirism/goth subculture-on a totally intellectual level of course…)

Tell us about your current book, Edge of Midnight.
Here’s the back cover copy, which I think does a good job of setting things up:
The writer becomes the story when crime reporter Mia Hale is discovered on a Jacksonville beach—bloodied and disoriented, but alive. She remembers nothing, but her wounds bear the signature of a sadistic serial killer. After years lying dormant, The Collector has resumed his grim hobby: abducting women and taking gruesome souvenirs before dumping their bodies. But none of his victims has ever escaped—and he wants Mia back, more than he ever wanted any of the others. 

FBI agent Eric MacFarlane has pursued The Collector for a long time. The case runs deep in his veins, bordering on obsession…and Mia holds the key. She'll risk everything to recover her memory and bring the madman to justice, and Eric swears to protect this fierce, fragile survivor. But The Collector will not be denied. In his mind, he knows just how their story ends.—I totally have to read this one!

 Are you a plotter? Panster? Or a mix?
If you asked me that prior to the Chasing Evil trilogy, I would’ve definitely said “panster”. I prefer writing that way. It’s how I wrote Midnight Caller. I had a general idea for the direction of the story and its ending, and I just let things flow freely from there. 

With the other two books, however, the publisher required an outline for approval prior to writing. So I didn’t have much of a choice and became a reluctant plotter.-Ah, see this is good to know. I’m a bit of both. But it seems to have worked for you. Outstanding! 

Do you utilize critique partners? How do they help you?
I had a critique partner for Midnight Caller, but the deadlines I had for Midnight Fear and Edge of Midnight meant that I had to keep a much faster pace. So my critique partner became more of a reader who did a single read-through and just generally let me know if the story was working for her or not. By necessity, the process was nowhere near as extensive as it was with the first book. 

That being said, finding the “right” critique partner is invaluable. It is tremendously helpful to have a second opinion or just someone to brainstorm with!-I couldn’t agree more. So glad you have someone you can trust.  

Revisions: How do you like them – easy or hard? Help you define the story better?
I’m not the fastest writer, but the work I turn in tends to be pretty clean. My editor as well as my agent provided some suggestions for each book but there really weren’t any heavy revisions, so I feel fortunate.-Wow! I am in awe. I fear revisions. 

What is your writing day like?
I’m still working part-time in public relations as a writer and editor, so my day tends to be pretty frenetic. I keep regular office hours (I work at home), but often switch between fiction and business writing projects. I’m definitely not the type of writer who works until late at night or gets up at three in the morning to tap things out on the keyboard – my brain doesn’t function in those “off” hours. I do my best to keep it in the confines of an eight a.m. to seven p.m. type day. Yes, I’m jealous, but you make it work. I am impressed. 

Writing: What is the hardest or easiest part about it? 
The hardest part for me is battling the pressure of deadlines. I have a huge fear of a contracted manuscript not coming together in time or not living up to expectations.  

The easiest part has been the signings and opportunities I’ve had to speak to book clubs and other groups. It’s rewarding to know that people have read and enjoyed the books you put so much of your heart into.-Ah, see that is my fear. I am not published but it lurks—the dreaded deadline. 

Thank you so much for stopping by Leslie, it has been a pleasure and I hope you come again. I know you are doing a number of blogs. Your next one is with Kelly J. Stone at  http://authorkellylstone.com/blog on Saturday, Feb 4. 
 I wish only good things for you. –M.V. Freeman

What RT Book Reviews says about Edge of Midnight
"A compelling plot, thick suspense, a cunning villain, a shattered cop and a victim who wants answers at any cost place Tentler in the same category as bestselling authors Lisa Jackson and Beverly Barton." 4 ½ STARS - RT Book Reviews 

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Leslie Tentler is the author of the Chasing Evil trilogy from MIRA Books, which includes Midnight Caller, Midnight Fear and Edge of Midnight. She lives in Atlanta.
Website: http://www.LeslieTentler.com
Midnight Caller at Amazon

ENTER THE CONTEST :
I will post the winner on the blog on January 28, 2012 **please put your email at the end of the post like this: jane at gmail dot com, so I can notify the winner directly** This is for one (1) copy of Edge of Midnight. Winner’s choice of e-book or print book. Print option open only to U.S. residents. WINNER is:  Sandy! I will be emailing you.  (I wish I could've given a book to everyone.)  Thank you all for stopping by. --M.V. Freeman

22 comments:

Livia Quinn said...

Hi, Leslie
So glad to see your success with this series. What's next for you? Vampires?
I'd love the new book!!

Mary, I was thrilled to see Leslie on your blog!
Martie/Livia liviaquinnwrites@gmail.com

leslie tentler said...

Hi Livia,
Thanks so much! I'm currently working on a new romantic suspense, this one set in Atlanta (where I live) and about a homicide detective and his ex-wife, who is an ER doctor. No vampires in this one, although there is a pretty scary street gang. ;-)

Jane said...

Congrats on the new release, Leslie. Is your upcoming book part of a new series?

janie1215 AT excite DOT com

leslie tentler said...

Hi Jane,

Thanks! Actually, it's too early to say about whether it's part of a series. But I'm definitely setting it up for that possibility. :-)

debbie h said...

Hi Leslie, wow a Mira artist I don't know, is that even posible :) apparently yes.
Great interview and I would love to be in the contest so that there are no lonely Mira authors that i don't know Mira is my favorite publisher and of course Harlequin makes the world go round. And the new novel you're working on sounds great too.
Thanks for the contest
deb
dhaupt(at)falkharrison(dot) com

kylakae said...

Sounds good!

leslie tentler said...

Hi Debbie and KylaKae, thanks so much for stopping by and saying "hi"! Have a great weekend!

Sandy said...

I'd love to be entered in the giveaway! This book sounds really good.

sandy(dot)wolters(at)q(dot)com

Julie said...

A early happy release to you! Thanks for the interview and the chance to win. :)

julieguan AT gmail DOT com

leslie tentler said...

Hi Julie, thanks so much - thrilled to be here today!

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie,

Great interview! Edge of Midnight sounds as if it's your best book yet. I can't wait to read it. I have a question. How do you come up with the names and occupations for your characters? Hope to see you at your signing in our hometown!

Ellen Hogan

Ellentis at AOL dot com

Nancy Naigle said...

Hi Leslie
I love your books and this was an interesting interview. Thanks for sharing.

Hugs and happy reading~
Nancy Naigle
nancy(@)nancynaigle(dot)com

leslie tentler said...

Hi Ellen,

Thanks for dropping by. That's a great question. I usually try to pick an occupation that interests me, since I'll need to do some research into it in order to world-build. So far, I've explored psychology, horse therapy programs and ranching, and with this latest, investigative journalism.

As far as names go, I usually just pick ones I like. In Midnight Caller, though, I needed a name for the heroine that reflected her parentage and background, so I came up with the name "Rain," which isn't uncommon in Goth circles. :-)

I hope to see you at the Kingsport signing! I'll be having one in Atlanta, too - date to be announced soon.

Thanks!
Leslie

leslie tentler said...

Hi Nancy,
Thanks for stopping by! I have your book pinned on Pinterest!

- Leslie

leslie tentler said...

Thanks, Sandy! If you read it and like it, please drop me a note!

leslie tentler said...

Romance Magicians, thanks for having me today!

M.V.Freeman said...

Leslie,
I'm so glad you could come. Yes, it's me, late to my own party. Sigh.
:) But I loved reading the comments! Stop back tomorrow for the name of the winner.

Kai W. said...

I have bought two of your books last year and was wondering when will the third book come out. Talk about Deja vu. I love the plot and the romantic suspense.

kmccandle at yahoo.com

M.V.Freeman said...

Kai,
I agree, this book sounds absolutely fascinating. :) And I am so glad you could stop by. I hope you come again.

I just might have to lure Leslie to come back to the blog. :)

M.V. Freeman

leslie tentler said...

Hi Kai, thanks for stopping by. So glad you enjoyed the first two!

Mary, anytime!

- Leslie

romantic love ideas said...

Sounds exciting! Maybe it's always good to keep an open mind and an open ending! hint hint - turn it into a series, people always love a good love story and lots and lots of suspense!!!

M.V.Freeman said...

Hi Romantic...
I love series, but they have to have an ending too.

How many books in a series? That's always a question I wonder about.

M.V.