Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Meet Author, Hildie McQueen

 I had the pleasure of meeting Hildie McQueen at Moonlight & Magnolia conference in October 2011, I found her to be a gracious and inspiring writer.  

I thought it would be perfect to introduce Hildie over the Holidays, when friends and families gather. I am fascinated about how everyone celebrates and the writing process-so I get to find out the best of both.

Hildie, I am glad you could make it here today, especially in the middle of this very busy Holiday season. So tell me, how do you and your family celebrate the holidays? With family, quietly? Huge party? 
A little bit of both. On Christmas Eve we have what we call a “Griswald Christmas party” at my house.  We invite a hodgepodge of friends, over to eat, exchange gifts and play games.  It’s always a blast!  Christmas day is more traditional, we have turkey or ham and the fixings, mostly just hang out.  This Christmas since it falls on Sunday, I foresee a bunch of sleepy people leaning on each other! --Nice! I like that--festive and relaxing.

Do you try and write during this time?
I am taking vacation the week of Christmas.  My plan is to finish edits on my current novel, a western romance and send it out to my beta readers by end of the month.  That is my goal anyways [sigh] we’ll see what happens.--Best laid plans always go awry-but I am beginning to think breaks are necessary.

What do you like the most about the Holidays? The least?
During this season the good in people comes out and it’s nice to have that positive energy in the air.  It’s hectic yes, but at the same time it’s so much fun, I love the hurry and scurry of the season.  The least would have to be the sadness that comes when you can’t share them with someone you love, I know some folks feel especially lonely at this time of year. --So true! (I like that you have a party for your friends, that is neat)

What was your first book published? Tells us a bit about it.
My first book “Desperate Betrayal” was published this year, in September.  I was in the Highlands of Scotland at the time, so it was a magical time for me.  I was in double heaven.

Desperate Betrayal is a Paranormal Romance. The story takes place in Atlanta, Georgia.  Basically it’s about a young woman, Emma, who must convince a terrifying demon slayer, Cyn, to rescue her sister who has been kidnapped by demons.  The twist is that after Emma discovers that he’s a single parent and begins to care for him, she still must decide if she can still betray him.
--Very cool..it is so on my TBR, calling to me....

What is your favorite thing about your hero/heroine?
Cyn is a contradiction in terms. It’s cool that he is a single easy-going dad by day and a brutal demon killer at night. (my kind of Hero)           
Emma is spunky and tenacious; I love how strongly she defends those she loves. --I like heroines like this.

What was the hardest scene to write? The easiest?
The hardest scenes for me were the fight scenes.  I don’t watch enough movies with sword scenes, so I had to do that to try to capture the moves.  

The easiest for me is the dialog between characters, so most of the dialog scenes came pretty easily. --I am envious! I have to fight for the dialog, so that is a gift. :)

What is your next project? 
I have a couple of projects in the works at this moment.  Most pressing is the sequel to Desperate Betrayal, which is titled Desperate Surrender right now. (That can always change.)  The manuscript is at my publishing house for edits.  I hope it will be out in the late spring.  --Wonderful!

Another project is in a new genre for me, I am completing edits on a Western Romance, not sure who I’m sending it too yet.  It’s been interesting writing a western.--now that is a leap-paranormal to western. I like that you do different genres, I think that helps with the creative process.

Do you have a day job as well as write? If you do, what is your profession?
 I have worked for the government, military intelligence for over 30 years.  Boy I feel old right now. I am a full time administrative assistant, so I type pretty fast. *smile* --Very cool! You've done a lot.

I squeeze in writing where I can. I do have a routine. I make it a point to spend two or three hours on my writing, blogging, etc. every day.   --I agree that is so important to do something toward your writing craft daily. You are very inspiring.

For the New Year, do you set goals? What are yours this year?
I do set goals. My goals for 2012 are to organize around my house. I want to simplify, pare things down.  Also to be healthier.  I think those have been my resolutions for twenty years…So this year I’m entitling them goals.  That should work right?--I think so! I am doing the same.

Thank you so much for coming Hildie, it has been a pleaure. I hope you come again soon!

As a gift, Hildie is giving an Ebook copy of "Desperate Betrayal", please put your email at the bottom (i.e. Jane doe at g mail dot com) of your post. The winner will be announced December 30th, in the comment section and I will email you.
***The Winner is Livia Quinn** Congratulations!

17 comments:

Cathy Stewart said...

Hi, Hildie! Great post! Our holidays were a little different this year. My father-in-law passed away a couple of months ago, so that was a void we had to manage. And the traditional family gatherings at my house spread to others this year, so I got to leave the Christmas wrappings scattered around for the entire day- no rush picking it all up before lunch :) The kids had to work Monday so I got the house to myself- yum!
Thanks for sharing your holiday!

Livia Quinn said...

Hi, Hildie. Your paranormal sounds great. Best of luck with it. It's a nice cover.

leslie tentler said...

Hi Hildie! I share your same resolutions each year - really hoping I stick to them this time. :-)

Your book looks really interesting! Best of luck!

Hildie McQueen said...

Cathy, I am truly sorry, it's hard to celebrate the holidays after losing a loved one. But every years gets better and soon you'll smile remembering those times with them. Happy New Year dear.

Hildie McQueen said...

Livia and Leslie, thank you for stopping by! Let's achieve our goals this year!!

Susie said...

Great interview! You always amaze me! Good luck in the new year with your writing.

Heather said...

Fantastic interview! Thank you Mary and Hildie!

I have a question for Hildie - your book was published by Crescent Moon Press. How have you enjoyed working with a newer press, and what advice would you give to pre-published authors who are looking a newer presses/houses?

Nicki Salcedo said...

MV, great interview! Hildie, best of luck with your writing. :)

Hildie McQueen said...

Heather, I have enjoyed working with CMP, a smaller press sometimes can give the writers more attention nd help you through the process, especially when you're a newbie. I don't know if you were with a bigger house before, but I hear that with the bigger publishers, you get more marketing help. Although some of the mid-size houses are doing that now as well. I advise to do what I"m doing, vIsit websites, contact authors and look at their ads.

M.V.Freeman said...

So glad you could stop by Cathy! (very happy to have Hildie here--sh is the best!)

Livia! Glad tose you! (Hildie is awesome...)

Leslie--eeek. goals. I have to have them, but I there are a few I aways fail with.

M.V.Freeman said...

Heather, I am glad you stopped by and you are asking the questions I have had. I hear such wonderful things about crescent moon press. :)

M.V.Freeman said...

Susie, thanks for visitig.:-)
I can't say enough good things about Hildie. :0)

M.V.Freeman said...

Susie, thanks for visitig.:-)
I can't say enough good things about Hildie. :0)

M.V.Freeman said...

Thanks so much Nicki! Hildie inspires me,she is always up beat and positive.

Hildie McQueen said...

Thank you so much for having me! I enjoyed it, hope I answered all the questions, if you have any other comments please contact me at hilda@hildiemcqueen.com

Rashda Khan said...

Wow, your book sounds wonderful with demonslayers & betrayal :) Good luck with your 2012 goals!

M.V.Freeman said...

Rashda, glad to see you! :)