Tuesday, November 22, 2011

What I am Thankful For

In two days Thanksgiving will be here. This year will be different from my past 59 Thanksgivings. On September 6th my wife of 39 years underwent total right hip replacement surgery. Her operation was successful and on September 9th she went into a nursing and rehab center in order to help her walk. Six weeks later in mid-October her rehab therapy ended due to the fact that she could not walk or do any personal hygiene. It has now been 2 1/2 months and no substantial improvement. Why you ask. My wife, Christine has suffered for 64 years with a condition called cerebral palsy (C.P.). This condition slowly robs a person of the use of their muscles. On Thursday I will bring two plates of Thanksgiving dinner to the nursing home and have my Thanksgiving with my wife.

Now you are thinking, poor Fred how sad. Don't be sad for me, be joyful. I still have my wife and I can share my world with her and her's with me. For so many people this year they won't be able to share Thanksgiving. They are no longer with us.

This Thanksgiving is a time for joyous celebration to me. I will have my first commercial publication of a work of my immagination, MIRRORED. Most of all. I have my writing sisters-you. All of you have been kind, welcoming, nurturing of my writing, and my life long friends.

Now will someone please pass the stuffing.

4 comments:

Cari Hislop said...

Happy Thanksgiving! It sounds like it will be lovely. I'm a rather morbid soul; I tend to think every morning something bad will happen and that my sweetheart won't make it home alive. Every evening he comes home and I feel blessed (even if he's snarling with hunger or depressed after a bad day). Conversely, I'm grateful he returns home to find I'm still alive and he adores me even though I've been so wrapped up in writing I haven't showered or dressed let alone washed the dishes!

Carla Swafford said...

Fred, you continue to surprise me with your upbeat outlook in life. It's so much easier for people to go around saying what's gone wrong and asking why me, than it is to say what's gone wrong and this is how I'm handling it and how I'm thankful that it isn't worse.

Happy Thanksgiving, and I hope for you and your wife that next year keeps improving on this one.

Hugs.

Lexi said...

Thanks for sharing your Thanksgiving story with us, Fred. Here's to good things ahead for you and your wife. Good health is a blessing we take for granted until it is gone. I have too many blessings to count and Southern Magic is one of them!

Louisa Cornell said...

Amazing, Fred! I am completely humbled by your expression of the true meaning of Thanksgiving. Life is far too short to dwell on those things fate has taken away or altered. Those things and people we can hang on to with both hands - the things that make us smile or keep us going - those are the REAL things in life. Everything else is just window dressing.

Wishing you and your wife continued blessings each and every day.

I count Southern Magic as a true blessing in my life.