Tuesday, November 29, 2011

DOH ! (I pulled a Homer Simpson!) Things That Make You Smile

I just got home and checked out our blog to see who might have posted and what they had to say. DOH !!! The blogpost I was looking for was mine! I offer my heartfelt apologies and I'd give each and every one of you a jelly donut (MMMM Donuts!) if I could.

I worked the Black Friday sale - 11 pm until 8 am and my mind has been mush ever since. Sorry, but this body is NOT meant to go over 24 hours without sleep. It gives me a serious case of Snow White syndrome. I start out Grumpy move on to Sleepy and eventually become Dopey. Hence my forgetfulness.

I had one of those odd little moments this morning on my way to work. I drive by this particular pasture every day. There are three horses and a pony grazing there every day. They've been there for years. And today they made me smile - a full blown, hey I'm smiling on the way to work (trust me that never happens) smile. It was raining a nice steady rain and I glanced toward the pasture and saw - three horses and a pony wearing RAINCOATS! We're talking each in a different color with a hood over their heads and holes for their ears belted and buttoned up raincoats. I don't really know why it made me smile. They did look rather silly in their brightly colored macks. Perhaps it was because they seemed so comfortable in them. Or maybe it was the idea someone loved these guys enough to go out in the rain and kit them out in raincoats. Whatever it was, it made me smile.

It struck me that writing is sometimes like this. You cruise along writing, grinding out those words and every now and then you take the time to look up, read what you wrote and it makes you smile. Perhaps your characters finally look comfortable in your novel. Perhaps your words fell into place and something about them makes you smile. Perhaps just once every writing day we need to stop and look for the horses in raincoats in our work. Being a "suffering artist" doesn't mean you don't get to smile. It just means you have to look for a reason to smile.

What makes you smile in life? What makes you smile in writing? And do you ever give your characters those moments to smile?

14 comments:

Lexi said...

Horses in raincoats, holy smokes! I need to get one of those for my Dachshund. She hates getting rained on. Yesterday, I ended a chapter and it just didn't feel right. Went back today and tweaked it and voila! I came up with a better ending. That was a big smile in my writing for today. Now, back to the grindstone. . .

M.V.Freeman said...

Louisa,
I need to read this, how marvelous! My youngest would've died of joy to see the horses in raincoats.

What makes me smile, when I've written myself into a corner and I have no idea how to get out--and then it hits me...(sometimes literally)

I also like to make my characters tease each other, its harder than putting socks on a rooster, but when you can get that banter going and the hero/heroine share a fun moment-its worth it. ;-)

Louisa Cornell said...

Lexi, it is definitely a dachshund thing because mine HATE to go out in the rain! They set speed records for doing their business when they go out in the rain.

Don't you love it when you KNOW something isn't write and then the solution shows up like a horse in a raincoat!

Louisa Cornell said...

Mary, I SO wish I'd had my camera with me. It really was the most whimsical sight.

And I DO love those two by four between the eyes moments after I've written myself into the PIT OF DESPAIR!

Socks on a rooster! LOVE IT! I treasure those moments when I can get my hero and heroine to snip and snipe at each other. It makes it so much easier to get them into bed afterwards!

Beth Trissel said...

How fun is that? Horses in raincoats. you are absolutely right, we need to look for the highlights. I enjoyed this. you poor thing having to work so hard on Black Friday.

Louisa Cornell said...

Definitely a highlight, Beth ! It is something that will stick in my memory for a long time to come. Thanks for stopping by!

Cari Hislop said...

I love the weird and the bizarre, like horses wearing hooded raincoats! Lovely! It brought to mind an encounter me and my husband had with two horses while out for a walk. My husband called them over to the fence and they came over and said hello and started smiling at him (animals love him). It was such a cute sight I asked my husband to pose with the smiling horses (I take a camera everywhere these digital days), but every time I lifted the camera to photograph them smiling they'd do a serious horse look. I know they knew what they were doing. I never got a shot of them smiling. They were having a laugh!

Carla Swafford said...

Awww! I love hearing about people who treat their animals (animals to some, family members actually) so well.

It's one of the best feelings in the world to work so hard on a scene and it finally come together.

Personally, I have no problem with couples bickering in novels. That feels real to me. If they get along all the time, well, someone is holding back. We know that men and women don't think alike. Thank you, God! If the readers would pay attention, they'll also know that it's showing character at the same time.

Chris Bailey said...

I wish I could see them. I love my pets, too.

Katherine Bone said...

Wow! This is awesome stuff. I love it when things pop up out of the blue or wake you up from a steady droll walking numbness. Get my drift?

Louisa, this made me smile. Thanks!

Yesterday, I was parked, sitting in my car, to eat on the go, when I looked up and saw a wee man walking to the store front. Not quite horses with raincoats, but it drew my writerly brain out of its coccoon.

Louisa Cornell said...

How funny, Cari! That definitely needs to go in a book. And yes, they were having a big laugh at the silly humans!

Louisa Cornell said...

Exactly, Carla. I had visions of some poor husband being sent out in the rain to put the horses' raincoats on and grumbling something about a little rain not hurting them. And I could just see his wife get that LOOK on her face that made him trudge out there and do it anyway.

Louisa Cornell said...

Chris, I wish I'd had my camera with me. It was SUCH a wonderful, sweet, silly sight. My dogs have sweaters and coats, and when I owned a horse he had a horse blanket, but never a raincoat.

Louisa Cornell said...

I definitely get your drift, Katherine. I'm glad it made you smile. What is it Ferris Bueller says "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't look around every now and then, you'll miss it."