Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Queen of Excuses

Last month, Southern Magic hosted an all-day workshop featuring experts in crime scene investigation, law enforcement, methods used by private investigators, and criminal defense and prosecution. A virtual smorgasbord for hungry suspense writers. No questions were deemed unworthy and answers poured forth based in fact and enriched by individual experiences. No names were revealed in order to protect the innocent/guilty, of course. I took copious notes, came out of lurkdom with a few questions myself, and enjoyed a fabulous lunch. All in all, a pretty great day.

Last Saturday, a kickoff was held for the upcoming NaNoWriMo or National November Writing Month, during which the brave/determined and the not-so-brave/but still determined will write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. Enough said.

After getting off work tonight, I drove to two different bookstores in order to find several of my favorite authors' new releases on their release days. (At some future date I'll stop my endless internal debate over Kindle vs Nook and just buy one!) Of course while there, I had to purchase the highly recommended No Plot, No Problem so that I'll know how to write a novel in 30 days. (See paragraph above.)

November 5 is our much-anticipated Readers' Luncheon. Drum roll, please.

"Okay, what's your point, Marie," you ask. Well, it's simple. We've been generously supplied with the information, the encouragement, the pep-talks/threats (whichever you prefer), to help us accomplish our goals. And let's not forget the overwhelming support of our published fellow magicians. For those of us who tend to procrastinate, no more excuses.

Game on.

4 comments:

Christine said...

Game on!! I love it. I am on a much needed break, but when I return let the contests entries be polished and let the requests go out to the agents.

I'm motivated!!

Kat Jones said...

Love it!!! I feel the same way!

Tell me more about this book you've referenced?

Oh, and game on!!! :-)

Lexi said...

I am rooting for all of you participating and in awe, too. I am so S-L-O-W. My hat's off to you lot!

Fred Arceneaux said...

Things have a way of getting in the way of writing. I have to say NO! to all those distractions and spend quality time with my computer.