Thursday, October 13, 2011

Interview with Harlequin Intrigue Author Delores Fossen

My friend and fellow Intrigue author, Delores Fossen, will be attending this year's Southern Magic Readers' Luncheon. So I thought I'd do a short Q & A with Delores to introduce her to some of you who may not know her.

Q: How did you sell your first book to Harlequin Intrigue? Had you sold anything else before then?

Delores: I consider myself very lucky and blessed with my first Intrigue sale. I submitted a partial to Senior Editor Denise Zaza, and six days later she called to buy the book. Six days before that I'd sold a western romance to another New York publisher so needless to say, it was one of the best times of my life. Two "calls" in one week! I broke my bed jumping up and down in celebration, and it's possible that people on other continents heard me whoop for joy.

Q: What's the oddest bit of research you've ever had to do?

Delores: For one of my Intrigues, I had my heroine running through the Texas Hill Country. I have some land (very rural) in Bulverde, Texas. Actually, it's a three acre hill, and I decided to run up it to time how long it would take my heroine to escape the gunmen after her. I weighed myself down with all the things my heroine was supposed to be carrying. Little did I know that on the other side on the hill was a herd of my neighbor's longhorns that had broken fence and moseyed onto my land. Well, they didn't mosey when I screamed at the top of my lungs, and I caused a mini stampede.

Q: What non-writing experiences in your life have most prepared you to be a writer?

Delores: I've had a variety of careers--an Air Force officer, special ed teacher, rehab counselor and at times I was a stay-at-home mom to my four children. I also lived in England for eight years and have traveled all over the world. My family used to tell me I did those things because I couldn't make up my mind about what I wanted to do or see. There's some truth in that, but now I pull from all those experiences and travels. I'm always on the hunt for a new adventure to give me even more material for my books and because I still love doing new things.

Q: Do you have a favorite series you've written, and if so, what makes it special to you?

Delores: My upcoming series, THE LAWMEN OF SILVER CREEK RANCH, is my favorite (so far). It's about a family of six brothers who are all cowboy cops. There's some dysfunction, an old murder to solve, lots of danger and plenty of romance. I do know a little about the in's and out's of a big family because I have six sisters. (Yes, six!) The first book of the series, GRAYSON, comes out in November.

Q: Are you a plotter, a pantser or somewhere in between?

Delores: I call myself a plotting pantser. I write the first three chapters by the seat of my pants and then stop and plot so I can do a detailed synopsis. I hate doing the synopsis, but without it I'm sure I'd have plot holes the size of Texas.

Q: What's on tap for you, book-wise, in 2012?

Delores: My new 6-book Intrigue series, The Lawmen of Silver Creek Ranch, will continue in 2012 with NATE in January, KADE is July, GAGE in August and MASON in September. In January, I also have a novella, "Cold Heat" in the ICE LAKE anthology with fellow authors and friends, BJ Daniels and Julie Miller. Finally, in December, CHRISTMAS RESCUE AT MUSTANG RIDGE (working title) hits the shelves.

6 comments:

Louisa Cornell said...

Great interview! And you Intrigue authors AMAZE me with your output. I feel like such a slacker! Any hints on how to produce more pages per day, per week, per something???

Where in England did you live, Delores. I lived in England for three years as a child and I LOVED it!

Carla Swafford said...

Delores, I'm looking forward to meeting you at the luncheon.

Great job, Paula!

FYI - my Word Verification is denesse. A bit of a combination of Delares Fossen, heh?

Delores Fossen said...

Louisa, thanks so much for posting! As for writing, I'm really lucky that I can write fast, but it also helps that I make a schedule and stick to it. Yeah, I know, that sounds boring, but it's the only way I know I'm on track. :)

I lived 3 years just outside of Oxford in a little town called Bicester. Then, I lived 5 years near Cambridge. Loved both places and really loved the people!

Take care!

Delores

Delores Fossen said...

Carla, I'm looking forward to meeting you, too. Just a few more weeks. :)

LOL on denesse. Must be kismet.

Anonymous said...

Love all the books and really enjoy the "cowboy" hero's. Looking forward to them all. And thank you for taking the time to answer us all. elaine

Delores Fossen said...

Elaine, you're welcome!! I'm so glad you enjoy cowboy books because I love writing them.