Monday, October 03, 2011

Good Ol' Paper

Last week, I started thinking about a book I wrote about 10 years ago. It's one of my favorite stories. It has a timeless premise, and I wondered if I could rewrite and update it. I knew the document wasn't on my new laptop, so I first checked my external hard drive that served as backup from my last computer.

Uh-oh. No file folder for the story, no documents, no nothing. And then I realized that 10 years ago was also 6 computers ago. After some serious searching, I found my "backup" floppy disks from 2001. I'm sure I could probably go to an antique store and buy something that would allow me to read these disks, but who wants to spend money on something so outdated?

The search made me pause to think about the rapid changes we've seen in storage techology. I have saved documents on (truly) floppy disks, rigid floppy disks, Sytec drives (whatever those were!), CDs, DVDs, external hard drives, and flash drives. And now cyber technology has given us the unseen cloud for storage. Where does it go from here?

Fortunately, I have two printed drafts of the book. And since I'm doing major rewriting anyway, I don't mind re-keying it. Sometimes old school is the best school.

5 comments:

Kat Jones said...

This is so true!! Who knows what technology will be when my children are grown.

Lexi said...

Whew, glad you found it! What a horrible feeling!

Cari Hislop said...

My very first book was saved because I e-mailed a copy of it to a friend. When my hard drive was fried I lost several years of work, but not my first book! It would have broke my heart if I'd lost it, even though it was a mutant. I had three stories in my head at the time and I kept forgetting which one I was writing. It brings a whole new meaning to plot-twist!

I'm glad you found your story on paper!

Louisa Cornell said...

Thank goodness for those hard copy backups! My first historical romance novel as an adult was written completely on the computer. Then when that computer crashed everyone I knew freaked out because the only copy was ON that computer. My brothers gave me seven kinds of "heck" for not backing up my work! Fortunately, Tammy Lynn's hubby Neil rescued my first book and ever since I back up via several methods just in case!

Technology is already moving way too fast for this technologically challenged gal!

Carla Swafford said...

Paper is nice, but thank goodness for those little flash drives. Love them.

In a file folder I have handwritten notes of several books I tried to start before I owned a computer. Just can't make myself throw them away, no matter how bad they are. LOL!

I'm glad you found your manuscript. It nice to revisit old friends, isn't it?