Sunday, October 23, 2011

Editors make you look great

As I sit at my computer my mind wanders back to my editing. I'm close to finishing my edits and I realize just how valuable my publisher's assigned editor is. My fears of, will my novel be dissected and fed back to me turned around, not recognizable as the story I wrote. No. The story is still fully recognizable.

What she changed were phrases or sentences that better converyed to the reader what I actually meant for a particular scene. The changing of just one word does make a difference in the emotions of a scene. This being done without altering the intent of the scene.

Did I make errors in spelling, and grammer. Yes I did. The old cliche (can't see the forest for the trees) is very true. We are inside our story and can't see the small details. This is because we have had this story in our heads for a long time. A fresh set of eyes see what our minds gloss over.

Once I'm actually published I will send my editor a thank you e-mail. She deserves it, because without her my novel would sink to the bottom of the sea with my shame.

2 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

I agree, Fred. My editor and copy editor were great in clearing up several areas of my book. I found I still have a problem with commas.

Lexi said...

I obviously don't understand hypens AT ALL. Now I don't hyphenate anything. Totally freaked out about it!