Tuesday, September 27, 2011

What Genre do you prefer?


What Genre do you write or read?

Why?

For me there are Four main categories to choose from (with all sorts of delightful sub genres!).

1.Contemporary: This is set in present day with realistic situations. This can be category and single title romance, suspense, mystery. There isn't a lick of the odd in there at all...unless of course its all about the psychological.

2.YA: This covers everything, contemporary, paranormal, fantasy. This market is exploding because they like to read!

3.Historical: You name it, medieval, regency...if you're a history buff this is your niche. You can write or find romance, adventure, you name it.

4.Fantasy/Paranormal: This all your other stuff, Urban Fantasy, high Fantasy, horror. It can be set in contemporary times, in the past, you can create worlds or just have that odd Aunt in your story that does the weird, but accurate, tea readings. There are all sorts of delicious things you can do in this genre. (Yes, I do have preference for it)

I have tried to write many different genres, but the one that I keep coming back to is Urban Fantasy. It appeals to me because you can weave in all sorts of things and I don't have to force a Happily Ever After, but a satisfactory ending. (Don't get me wrong, I love HEA's but sometimes I like the HEA's to be a bit edgier). There can be romance, but the best part is I can write a Hero as tough as I want them to be and Heroines as flawed as I like them to be.

Funny but before I realized what I really liked to write---I tried contemporary. I tried writing a Blaze. --There is a joke among a few of us, we all talk about our "Blaze book" everyone has tried to write one. I thought I could do it, but no...I had to put in something fantastical, that Blaze book turned into an Urban Fantasy. (Side note: That's not saying that Blazes are easy, they aren't I have a whole new respect for those writers.)

I even thought about writing a contemporary for the Mills & Boon contest. I even had a plot, characters...but the reality is, it was only one book. I love writing Urban Fantasy, for those of you who know me and now those that don't. I have notebooks and folders on my computer filled with story ideas: Fantasy, Urban Fantasy and yes some horror. Only one contemporary. Not a good thing.

So I sat down and thought about it. Writing is hard for me, but I love the genre I chose. Its one of the reasons I keep writing.

So my suggestion to you is to think about the genre you write? Do you love it? I hope so. Tell me about it...and why you like it.

15 comments:

Suzanne Johnson said...

I'm an urban fantasy girl too! Really, I love all the speculative genres--sci fi, paranormal romance, YA paranormals. But urban fantasy is tops. I love the blending of fantasy and real elements into a "what if" that maybe--who knows?--could really happen.

Lisa Dunick said...

I set out to write contemporary but I ended up writing YA. I'm with you, though-- I need something fantastical in them. My current WIP is more magical realism than supernatural, though.

Carla Swafford said...

You know, Mary, I loved paranormal for many years, even before it became fashionable. Now I'm getting into just good old contemporary (no suspense, no witches or vampires or demons). I do love to read some romantic comedy (Victoria Dahl anyone?).

True, my book has suspense in it, but the main part (to me) is the relationship between two strong will people, and how they come to terms with their past so they can love each other in the present. I love to read about people who are not perfect and show it.

Of course, I still love medieval romances, but rarely am I happy with what's out there when they rarely show up.

M.V.Freeman said...

Suzanne,
I totally agree with you! The "what if" factor is a huge one. Plus, I can have fun setting the rules...that is neat. (of course I write myself into a corner that way!)

M.V.Freeman said...

Lisa,
I like how you put "magical realism" that adds a very neat spin on it. You have intrigued just by writing that....

M.V.Freeman said...

Carla,
I agree with what said --ultimately its about the characters. No matter where you place them--in what genre--if you can't capture the characters and make them real then you have nothing.
I am totally fascinated with the fact that you pretty much changed genres--and your voice is so strong in it (as well as in Paranormal).
I also like to read historical (remember what I said about rules? There are waaay to many in those in Historicals for me to write it).

Cari Hislop said...

I've always thought of my genre as Regency Romances. I used to read as many as I could get my hands on, but now that I write them I prefer reading non fiction or 20th century fiction. I just finished a book of short stories and essays by Aldous Huxley and I'm waiting for a Fannie Hurst novel to arrive in the post. Half of my stories end up with some sort of paranormal element, but it's never planned (because I'm a pantser and I've no idea what will happen). I had this ghostly romantic agent show up in one of my books and when I finished it I knew he'd be back. He is. I think of my stories like fairytales where all planes of reality collide if they want to.

M.V.Freeman said...

Cari,
You have such a whimsical way of describing your writing--I really like it.

Its funny how our writing sometimes doesn't match our reading.

I love to read historicals, but I don't want to write them.

Ted Henkle said...

My top three genres are: Military science fiction, fantasy, and military-themed historical fiction. The thought of writing in any other genre, even if it's the latest trend, never crosses my mind.

Louisa Cornell said...

I read a multitude of genres, but my one true love is Regency historical romance. (I sneak in a one night stand with paranormal romance when I can.) The Regency era stands on the cusp between the wild and wooly Georgian era (trust me, these people made the 1960's look like Girl Scout camp!)and the Industrial Age. The rules and strictures make for a challenge when writing and I do love a challenge. I love the graciousness of the period, the idea of honor and virtue and duty. I love the clothes, the stately homes, the language of the period. I love everything about it.

And so far, the voices in my head all speak in Regency-speak, so I don't have much choice!

M.V.Freeman said...

Ted,
I can understand that! :) Sometimes if you have a niche..run with it. I like to read it, but writing it would be hard.

Now, I must ask, do you read outside your genre at all? Or do you read non-fiction? I ask because my husband prefers non-fiction (especially military).

M.V.Freeman said...

Louisa,
That is on of the reasons I like reading Historicals. I love the graciousness, homes...the time period. I have to confess my utmost respect for your ability to write in that era, its blasted hard!

Had to laugh about the one night stant with paranormal....:)

Lexi said...

I read a little of everything, though mostly I enjoy curling up with historical romance, when I get the time to read. I started out writing a fantasy. When it didn't sell, I looked around for something else to try, and decided to take a whirl at a PN romance. It was a good fit for me, I think, because it combines the supernatural (the fantasy geek in me) with romance, which I adore.

Until recently, I shied away from reading other paranormals, mostly out of caution, I think. But I have discovered the joy of audio books and am listening to the Sookie Stackhouse novels with great delight.

Great blog, Mary!

Ted Henkle said...

M.V.: I read thrillers occasionally. While I love a good western movie, I haven't read any western novels. I can certainly see the appeal of romance, but I haven't gotten around to reading any of the romance books I bought from local authors. I've read a lot of non-fiction, mostly military history, or current events. But I now limit my NF book purchases to reference books.

A man called Valance said...

Howdy Em. I started doing what I do on a writing website. Sometimes, when it seemed like the whole world was passing me by, I imagined myself sitting on a porch somewhere, and started talking to myself. When it occured to me that some folk might think I was a nut for talking to myself, I gave myself an imaginary dog, so I'd have someone to talk to (like nuts don't talk to imaginary dogs.) Ain't sure what genre that fits into, but it's been a lot of fun. Hope all's well.

Mister V