Friday, September 23, 2011

Research that finds you

Two weeks ago my wife went into a rehabiliation center following total right hip replacement surgery. Today I was told that her recovery could take two or more months. I went into the finance department to make long term arrangements with her health insurance carrier. It turned out that the financial aid person was related to someone I have known for more than nine years.
During my interview I mentioned that I write supernatural thrillers and I wanted to know how my future income from writing would affect my wife's benefits. The lady told me she was starting a book about her husband's family who were some of the original settlers in Cullman.
This was fate interviening on my behalf. My current book in progress takes place in present day Garden City, Alabama. I have been to libraries in Cullman county looking up the county's history for accuracy in my book. One of my trademarks is having my characters sorting through historical records to solve a current mystery.
My now new found friend volunteered to sit down with me and give me the historical information I need in exchange for my reading over her story and giving her pointers. I mentioned RWA and the two chapters SM and HOD. She expressed an interest in visiting us .
As for my wife. She will be in rehab for at least another month while I seek financial aid.

3 comments:

Cari Hislop said...

That's totally awesome! There's nothing like having the info you need fall out of the sky fully indexed.

I hope your wife heals quickly!

Lexi said...

It's the cosmos, Fred! So cool you've found such a valuable source. I wish your wife a speedy recovery!

Carla Swafford said...

It's such a small world. That's why we have to behave ourselves. I hope your wife heals quickly.