Wednesday, September 21, 2011

E-Reader Revolution Killed My Shopping List

Giving books as gifts used to be my thing. I loved finding a book for a friend or family member as a Christmas or birthday present that would introduce them to a new friend or world. I would spend the year trying to get signed books for a gift basket. It was my quest. My mission.

Then came the Kindle, the Nook, the iPad and the digital revolution. It swept me away. I'll knife you if you lay a finger on my Nook Color. All my books are in one place. No piles toppling off the nightstand. No lost paperbacks on trips. Everyone in my family is on board. You know the revolution is in full swing when my mother and mother-in-law both have e-readers.

But what can I get people for presents if they are going to electronic books? Gift cards? I can hear my grandmother tisk-tisking at that idea right now. It feels like cheating. Maybe I could wrap the card in a suggested reading list.

I can't be alone in this dilemma. How do you plan on adapting to the digital revolution when it comes to sharing your favorite authors and stories?  

6 comments:

Paula said...

I love the idea of the gift card and the suggested reading list. Also, you can have your friend give you his/her Kindle email (or something like that) and you can order and send a book directly to his/her Kindle.

But people with eReaders also read paper books, don't they? I know I do. I don't carry my Nook around with me to work, but I do keep paperbacks in my purse.

Lexi said...

I'm not there yet. Don't have an e-reader. I plan on buying one for the hubby, though!

Cari Hislop said...

I think the more people who have e-readers, the more reading paperback will be a treat. It's a different experience. I love the ease of reading digital, but I love even more the smell of books. I think if you're buying books for book lovers they'll never be disappointed with the 3-D option! Saying that, the gift card with ideas is a lovely idea too, especially if you share why you loved the book.

Carla Swafford said...

I hadn't thought about that, Heather. Maybe part of the reason is that I buy coffee table books for people (mainly my dad). Fiction is such a personal thing.

Heather said...

I think what I'm going to do is buy the first paperback in a series to hook my gift recipient, then couple it with a gift card/reading list. The rapid evolution of technology is really inconveniencing my life! :)

Lisa Dunick said...

I love that idea! I have an ereader, but I still buy paperbacks. I don't think they cancel each other out.