Wednesday, August 10, 2011

An Interview With NYT Best Selling Author Christy Reece

We're proud of all our members, but especially Christy Reece. She's a NYT best selling author of the Last Chance Rescue series and recently won the Romantic Times Reviewers Choice award for Best Romantic Suspense.  Her next book, SWEET JUSTICE, is due out September 6, 2011 and two more follow soon after, SWEET REVENGE (October 4) and SWEET REWARD (December 27).
September 6, 2011


She took time out of her busy writing schedule to answer a few questions.

When did you start writing fiction? After college, I dabbled with a chapter or two here or there, but never finished anything. Then, after leaving a career I no longer enjoyed, I challenged myself to finish an entire manuscript. I think that was around Spring 2001.

Why did you join RWA? When I finished my first manuscript, I realized I had no idea what to do with it. My family read and liked it but I wanted others to read it too. I can't remember how I first learned about RWA, but I joined as soon as I could. Becoming a member was one of the best decisions I could have done for my career.

What was the most important thing you learned from being in a RWA chapter? That writers are some of the most giving and kind people in the world. That if you ask questions, there's a wealth of knowledge they'll share. And that they honestly are happy for your success.

Who influenced you the most? In my life? My mom. In writing? Many of the romances I read when I was younger helped to create my love of romance--Kathleen Woodiwiss, Laurie McBain, Rosemary Rogers, Johanna Lindsey, Grace Livingston Hill, Emily Loring.
October 4, 2011

What reference book or website can you not live without? Ask.com. Amazing what you can find out when you ask something. And of course Facebook!

If you were to give advice to a newbie romance writer, what would be the most important thing? Write what's in your heart to write, not what the market is doing. Don't give up on your dreams. Learn as much as you can about the craft of writing and the business side of being a published author. Knowledge is power.

The least? Ignore the people who tell you not to pursue your dreams. If this is truly what you want to do, don't let others deter you. Reach for the stars and never give up.

If you had anything you could do over, pertaining to writing romance, what would it be? I would worry less about what people thought and write and write and then write some more.

December 27, 2011
What is your favorite type of book to write? Character driven, emotional stories filled with angst, laughter, tears, danger, desire, and that all important HEA.

Now for the most important question - what do you believe makes a man sexy? Physically, it would have to be his smile. It can tell you so much about his confidence level and who he is inside. As a characteristic, it would be his sense of humor. A man who can make you laugh, will never bore you and that is very sexy!

If you would like to meet Christy, come to our Romance Readers Luncheon on November 5 at the Harbert Center in Birmingham, Alabama.  For tickets and more information, go to www.southernmagic.org and click on luncheon.

Thank you, Christy!

10 comments:

Heather said...

Fantastic interview. I totally agree that there is nothing more attractive than a sense of humor.

Lisa Dunick said...

Thanks for a great interview!

Crystal Posey said...

Great interview, good advise!

Lexi said...

Christy, you are right. Write what you love and write, write, write! Very inspirational and wise!

Crystal said...

Great interview! Love the advice too.

Chris Bailey said...

Thanks, Christy! We all need encouragement from time to time. I love seeing your success.

KayB said...

Great interview, always the best

Louisa Cornell said...

Terrific interview! And some really great advice. Don't let anyone steal your dreams!

Alicia Coleman said...

Great interview. Great advice. Exactly what I need. Thank you.

Christy Reece said...

Sorry I'm a day late! I'm in the midst of SWEET REWARD copyedits. One of the many things I've learned in this business is that a good copyeditor is invaluable. I'm so very fortunate to have a great one.

Thank you all for your kind comments and thanks so much, Carla, for the interview. I'm still a relative newbie and learning new things about this business everyday, but if anyone ever has any questions, feel free to email me at christy@christyreece.com and I'll be glad to answer what I can.