Saturday, May 07, 2011

Writing Routines

As you know, I have declared 2011 to be "The Year" I write a complete novel. I've previously blogged about trying to find my writer's space and style. And, though I have discovered that the only "magic system" is simply writing daily, I am now in the process of finding my routine. I've found some interesting articles on the routines of various authors here, here, and here.

So tell me, what's your routine? Morning, lunch, nighttime, or something in between?

3 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

I write everyday. So if I'm not doing house chores (booo!), I'm at the computer writing. Then I work hard at not being on Facebook and Twitter.

Not having small children helps in doing this.

Lisa Dunick said...

Carla's right. Having small children definitely does not help w/ establishing a writing routine. Throughout school and now w/ my writing, I like the "it'll get done when it needs to be done" outlook. Give yourself some sort of deadline--sign up for a conference where you have to pitch, promise someone who matters that they can read a portion or your whole manuscript--give yourself a reason to meet a deadline. You'd be amazed at how much easier it is to focus when you have a deadline that actually means something (time, money, disappointing someone). For instance, I just registered for the M&M conference, which means that if I don't get started and finish my current WIP, I'm going to look like a complete idiot trying to pitch it. As I usually like to avoid looking like an idiot, I'll probably be writing much more very soon. Good luck!

Louisa Cornell said...

Ah Kat you have hit the nail on the head. One of the hardest things for me is to establish a writing routine. I KNOW I need it and those links were really great enforcement of the idea that I need to set up a schedule and stick to it. I am afraid I let far too many other things interfere with my writing time!