Saturday, April 23, 2011

Writing Origins

As I began to compose this, my first Romance Magicians Blog I realized that it will post on HOLY SATURDAY. At this season of Easter we gather with our families to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus. There will be religious services and then the children will go Easter egg hunting followed by a sumptuous meal after which my belt will be in great need of loosening. Grandad or Uncle Ed or Aunt Minnie will gather everyone around with the children up front. Story telling time will begin. Grandad, Uncle Ed or Aunt Minnie will enthrall us with their adventures. Then Grandma will give us a look that says. "I don't remember that part of the story". This was and is our first encounter with our imaginations which we will develope into our futures as authors. Some of us used this treasured gift of imagination early in life and began experimenting with writing. I didn't start typing my imagination until I was 53. Now I can't stop for the life of me.

5 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

My dad is my greatest influence. Up until he had his stroke and it affected his speech, he would tell us all kinds of tales about his dad's childhood and his own. Now he struggles and still manages somewhat. He had planned to record the stories on a tape recorder for me while he traveled. But it didn't happen. That's why you should never put things off.

Lexi said...

I used to love to sneak into the living room where the grownups were talking on holidays. Loved to hear them spin tales of days gone by or talk about this and that. My dad was a funny, funny man. Miss him something awful.

Louisa Cornell said...

Same thing here. My favorite part of any family holiday or reunion was when the grownups sat around my Uncle Dink's kitchen table and played Rook. They would talk into the night about what it was like growing up in a family of nine as sharecroppers in South Alabama. Only after my grandmother passed away did they talk about the difficulties of growing up poor and Native American in the rural South. I have many of those stories written down and I always have a notebook at every family reunion now for the sole purpose of giving everyone a place to record their stories or in many cases for my cousins to write the stories their parents told them.

Heather said...

Every family has their storyteller; the keeper of the history. That is the family treasure. The great thing with modern technology is the ability to document those stories.

Callie James said...

No one could tell a story like my Uncle Bill. I loved to sit and listen to him.