Thursday, March 24, 2011

Why I write when I don't want to.

Its easy not to write.

I'm unpublished. I have requests for my work, but the people who requested my work aren't waiting at the edge of their seats until I send them my story. I have no deadline. I have a day job, that requires my focus and a family I need to pay attention to.

My writing sometimes is forced to be secondary.

Still today, I sat down and revised seven pages and wrote over 120 words. It may not be much, but its more than if I didn't do anything. I didn't want to do it.

Personally, what I wanted to do was take a nap. I wanted to finish a book that I've started reading.

What stopped me?--I want to succeed.

There is only one way to succeed in writing. You MUST write. For the past 61 days, I've written daily or revised. I haven't taken a day off. I made a promise to myself that I would learn to over come my weaknesses in writing and to move forward.

How can I do all of this?

I write when I am inspired. Most importantly, I write when I don't want to. Do you think that in my day job that I can go in and tell my boss that I 'don't feel' like doing my work? I may not be the most important thing in my day job--but it needs to get done. Just like your stories need to be written. Your stories don't write or revise themselves.

You must write.

Sure, you get sick. Your dog chews your couch. Your friend is going to pieces because she backed into the garage door. Maybe, you have meetings you have all day long and then you have to spend the rest of the evening bringing kids to a sport for practice or to play. Where is the time?

Believe me, I have plenty of excuses. Sometimes, I just don't want to work on those passive sentences. I don't want to figure out where the heck I have put the comma or get my heroine out of trouble--or into it.

When I hit resistence in myself I have to ask myself--WHAT DO I WANT IN WRITING? I want to succeed. I want to be published. I want to write.

SO WRITE.

Write when you don't want to. You can write one sentence at a time. I write at least 100 words a day. (ALL of us can write a 100 words). Its simple, it's easy and I may delete them tomorrow. Doesn't matter --I write them.

Do you write when you don't want to? If you do how do you push through? If you don't--why?

14 comments:

Callie James said...

You're so right, girl!

Lately? Not so much. This has been a weird year for me though. I'm still working when I don't want to, but I'm not killing myself anymore.

I'll go back to those no-sleep days when I get published.

Christine said...

I'm so amazed by your dedication and focus this year! Way to go. I write when I don't want to, and I give myself permission to take a break (sometimes other people have to remind me that it is okay to take a break--like go on a vacation LOL). But I also have a goal of at least 100 words a day. Except for my visit to Orlando--I managed to reach that goal and exceed it.

Keep pluggin' along!

Lisa D. said...

I'm terrible about this, but then again I tend to write all at once. Great idea, though. Definitely something to shoot for.

M.V.Freeman said...

Callie,
There is truth to what you say! But, I agree, you must write--but not kill yourself to do so. It just defeats the purpose.

Last night I wrote my 100, revised a few pages and went to bed. Because I figured I needed the sleep more.

Let this year be so much better for you! :-)

M.V.Freeman said...

Christine,
You are always so encouraging!
This year a switch flipped in me, and suddenly I feel purpose. I think thats the change. That and treat it like a professional job--(I credit Lynn Rae Harris for saying that!)

That said--I think taking a break is important too. You've been writing hard for days--(Not like me, I wasn't writing and if I did, I'd write half a page and wouldn't write again for a week!).

Its more like a balance. Much like working out--if you work out too much you over-train and lose the good effects.

You are quite inspiring in what you've completed!

M.V.Freeman said...

Lisa, I wish I could write it all at once. I try for that. But sadly..I'm a write a bit and then I have to walk away. So I truly admire you!

For me writing daily--this helps me get through some of my worst writing habits. (Passive sentences...etc.)

Plus, you have to find the stride that works for you. Like running. (Can you tell, I need to probably work out I am using exercise as examples!)

Louisa Cornell said...

I really needed to read this. I have been on vacation this week and it has be SO TEMPTING to just sleep, work in the yard, clean up the house, anything but write.

It really has been hard to make myself sit down every day and work on these revisions. I feel like "darn it, I wrote this book one time!"

But this is the job. My worst problem is letting negative people live in my head, rent free. Those are the voices I hear that tell me I'm not going to make it and that even if I do it won't be worth it, blah, blah, blah. Hard to shake because like many women - the bad things are easier to believe.

But, every day I sit down in front of this computer and write something. It may not be what I planned to write, but time spent beating myself up is time wasted.

I need to set a goal like yours and promise myself I will write a certain amount every day. This is the job I want. God knows I sure as heck don't want the one I have, but it does pay pay for little luxuries like food and living indoors!

M.V.Freeman said...

Louisa,
I'm glad what I said helped. I understand how you feel-about the naps AND the negative voices. I never realized how much I'd let them win until I started to write daily.

And like you, I want to write for a living, not stay with my day job--and the only way to do it is to fight for it.

I so want to see you succeed! (Your stories absolutely fascinate me) I hope the revisions and writing flow easily--and that you find the writing goal that works for you. :)

A man called Valance said...

Hello Em

'Do you write when you don't want to?'

Nope


If you don't--why?

Because I'm an easy going humblebum, I guess. Sure, I have my daydreams, but that's all they are. I worked out long ago that a writer needs more than the ability to sprinkle words on a page. Once that became clear, I chose to leave the agony behind. I ain't one for chewing myself up over those things.

M.V.Freeman said...

Mr. V,
That's why I like you. You are who you are and you make no bones about it.

Your imagery is exquisite--I love that "a writer needs more than the ability to sprinkle words on a page".

I agree--but for me, in order to get better, I have to push myself or all they would be is just words...with no meaning.

Please come again, I enjoy when you stop by!

A man called Valance said...

Thanks Em. You're pretty good company, too. Keep right on pushing. I'll be rooting for you.

M.V.Freeman said...

Thank you Mr. V!
That means the world to me!

Houston A.W. Knight said...

MV! Hey Sweetie,

Mr. V told me about this post...we were just talking about that very thing.

I don't know what it feels like to 'Not want to write'...I'm the kind of writer that feels like I'm running out of time so I'm obsessed with writing...

I have to remind meself to stop writing and remember there is LIFE outside me writer's cave.

Great post darlin'
Big hugs
Hawk

Ted H said...

My feelings about the writing process are similar to how I feel about my daily exercise routine: I often dread starting the daily process, but I love the way I feel afterwards.