Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Past Relationships

I don’t know about y’all, but there are a few skeletons in my closet. Bad relationships that I’d really like to forget I was ever involved in. Quite often the reason for the demise of said relationship was entirely my fault…although, sometimes it wasn’t.

But I can honestly say that I don’t have any desire to rekindle any of those relationships. They ended for a reason. A good one. However, I’m intrigued by the question of whether or not two people can make it work better the second time around. And that’s what I explore with What Might Have Been.


For Ainsley and Luke, their relationship died. Both of them were responsible for killing it (although Ainsley would say that Luke should shoulder the responsibility). Each of them had issues and made bad decisions that ultimately led to the destruction of their future. And given a choice, neither one of them would say they ever wanted to try to make a go of it again. But Fate (and I) have a way of throwing people back together. I don’t know about Fate, but I like to see the sparks fly when it happens.


Obviously, because this is a romance, we all know that Ainsley and Luke eventually work out their differences (and deal with a pesky secret Ainsley’s been keeping for 8 years). My question today is have you ever rekindled a past romance? Do you know anyone who has? Have you ever run into an old boyfriend/girlfriend and been happy to learn you made the right decision? Do you enjoy reading books about second chance relationships?


Kira


I love to hear from readers! Visit me at http://www.kirasinclair.com/ to hear about my latest news and upcoming releases. And don’t forget to check out What Might Have Been - on shelves now.

11 comments:

Anne Gallagher said...

I make it a point never to go back to a past relationship or a past job. Ever.

And when I have run into ex-s in the past, I always thank the Good Lord for steering me in the right direction.

If it didn't work out the first time, for whatever reason, it probably wouldn't work out now.

But fiction is different. Isn't it. It's all about the Happily Ever After. Life isn't a fairy tale.

Carla Swafford said...

I do love stories of second chances. Who hasn't messed up before and wish they could do it right the second time? All that "I know you" business that can screw up a relationship. People change and most thankfully for the better.

Cheryl said...

I have run into an old boyfriend and, believe me, I knew I had made the right choice in not staying in that relationship!

Your book sounds romantic - rekindle the spark and see where it goes. I hope you are very successful with it! Best of Luck!!!!!

Kira Sinclair said...

Thanks for having me on the blog today! I'm like several of you, whenever I've run into someone from my past I'm reminded of the right decision I made. Good reminder to have sometimes though. Makes me really appreciate what I have now. :-)

Kira

M.V.Freeman said...

I like second chances Kira,
Especially with romance. And sometimes its nice to revisit (especially in a book) about what could've been.

I know life isn't a fairy tale, but every once in awhile I want to see a happy ending to a relationship --its why I read romance! ;-)

Heather said...

I may be wrong, but I think the reason FaceBook has become a popular stalking tool among adults is the curiosity about what might have been. I love a good "second chance" story (which is probably why I love the movie Sweet Home Alabama so much). I can't wait to read your book!

Katherine Bone said...

Hi Kira!

Everyone deserves a second chance! Even if characters aren't reconnecting after a past relationship, it's through their stories that we see second chances taking hold. Sometimes it takes loss and regret to help us see the prince/princess before us. ;)

Lisa Dunick said...

I like living 3 states away from every ex I've ever had. Also ignoring their friend requests on facebook. :)

Louisa Cornell said...

EVERYONE deserves a second chance. ONCE! After that they have to be earned with much groveling. LOL

I've run into several ex's and all in all save one case I am positive I made the right decision to walk away. That one has always been a matter of bad timing. Such is life.

However, I do love a good second chance romance novel. It gives a writer such a great chance to show that people are capable or growing and changing, of being better than they ever thought they could.

Christine said...

I have no regrets regarding ex's. I have the best man ever. I have a great life, too, because I broke off the other relationships (yes, I am a heartbreaker LOL). I've never written a reunion story, but I do love reading them.

What Might Have Been was in B&N yesterday. Guess what I have i my bookshelf?

:-)

Kira Sinclair said...

I've loved reading everyone's comments about second chances! So many good things that I hadn't thought of (but will keep in mind for next time since I really enjoyed working with this theme).

Thanks Christine!

And Thanks Carla for inviting me to blog. :-)

Kira