Monday, March 28, 2011

The Luddite Blogger

My husband and I have just been spending some quality time together while I tried to sign in and compose this blog. For whatever reason, the default e-mail that showed was his newly created gmail address. Since he had recently created the account to access some software for his phone, I knew he had done something that affected my ability to sign in to our blogspot. Not to be deterred, I went to my "Groups". The blog was not there. By now, I was really panicked. I bellowed for him to come downstairs to help me fix what he had screwed up.

I guess this would be a good time to say he doesn't blog and he isn't familiar with the "Groups" designation on the Yahoo site, so we were handicapped from the getgo, although he is familiar with every gadget and electronic gizmo that has ever been invented. I am the luddite who resists any technological change. He is my polar opposite but most of the time it works, but not today.

Yesterday I fell for his reasonable explanation as to why he needed to upgrade his perfectly fine phone to some Android something or another. It seems his Palm Pilot is beginning to fail and he needs to access the information on it in order to do the work that pays our bills. Fearing that our financial stability was in peril, I readily agreed he could go out and get this new phone that could perform both functions. In fact, I urged him to do it right away. Little did I know he would change all search engines, browsers and homepages while enabling this latest technological wonder. He swears he didn't do anything that could have changed all these things but the fact remains, they had changed.

After fifteen minutes of increasingly escalating emotions on both of our parts, he now knows more than he'd ever like to know about blogs and our website. I, on the other hand, finally gained access to the blog, with a subject matter to boot. I know how to navigate the new web browser, and both of our blood pressures are slowly returning to normal.

5 comments:

M.V.Freeman said...

I laughed. I couldn't help it. Why is it when we upgrade anything--everything changes (and not necessarily for the better)

For example, google home page I've set up the way I like--then they changed it. I was distraught. I finally found a way that can put it back to rights after weeks of ranting.

There is that old saying--if it isn't broke don't fix it, but still we do....

I hope everything gets settled soon!

Diane Richmond said...

Thank God it isn't just me! I feel so inept every time I have to learn something new. You have made me feel normal

Carla Swafford said...

Shame on your hubby. LOL!

Louisa Cornell said...

Oh, Diane, I feel your pain! I upgraded my Firefox browser and now the darn thing is slow as homemade Christmas and crashed on me! I should have just left it alone.

My nephew calls me computer challenged because his mother told him it isn't polite to say "My Aunt is an idiot."

I need to update my website and have no idea how to start as someone else set it up for me! I have already alerted the nephew and he has buddies who can make computer code sing, so I should be able to get it done soon.

I do not Twitter or Tweet, for the most part because I have no clue what it is! Calling the nephew on that one too.

A computer problem discussed by two people is never a good thing. If the two people are of the opposite sex it COULD get ugly. Glad you avoided being on the six o' clock news!

Lexi said...

Lord, how I feel your pain! Everything in my house has long since passed me in techo. I can hardly turn on the tv. Not kidding.