Tuesday, February 08, 2011

A Modest Dream

On the rollercoaster ride of everyday life, I sublimate passion in favor of calm reason. I don’t scream or cry or tear out my hair or snatch a handgun from my purse. My life is not novel-worthy.

So when was my last passionate moment? (Oh, stop. I’m not telling about THAT!) I’m talking about an uncontrolled show of emotion. A don’t-get-in-my-way kind of passion.

I have to reach way, way back for this. And I find myself thinking about the way I read as a child. And what did reading deliver to excite this kind of passion? Escape!

A few years ago (I stopped counting how many) I started setting aside serious chunks of time to learn to write something that matters. Skeptics may say that romantic comedy doesn’t matter.

But look at it this way. Nothing is more important to a grim world than allowing people a chance to escape, to dream big dreams, to reach beyond the communities they’re living in to catch a glimpse of a bigger world where people take risks to triumph over small or great evils. In practicing and visualizing heroic action in fiction, they begin to grow, to understand themselves, to try harder, to love better, to live honestly, to become heroic in real life.

Fiction ennobles character. So that’s my passion. I want to give the world hope, couched in story.

Modest dream, eh? What’s yours?

10 comments:

Lexi said...

Total and complete world domination. Resistance is futile.

Barring that, I hope to make people laugh, too!

Chris Bailey said...

I never figured you for world domination--more the universe type!

Louisa Cornell said...

Scared of Chris and Lexi. Really scared ! If a Mini Lexi and a Mini Chris show up accompanied by hairless cats ... RUN !!

My dream is to write the sort of historical romances that make people laugh, cry, think and realize that a person's title - lord, lady, or gay, straight, or rich, poor or single, married, divorced or widow or widower isn't who they are. A person's identity is the way they treat people, the things they believe in, the things they strive for even when they don't think they deserve them. I want to write heroes and heroines who know their dreams and desires are impossible and yet they can't bear to let those dreams go. I want to create characters the reader will remember, love, laugh with, cheer for, cry with and want to visit again and again.

And after that, of course, (with my best Miss United States smile) I want World Peace.

Lexi said...

Shh, Chris! World domination is only the first step in my master plan. Felines are, in reality, a superior species from another planet. They are gathering information for me. There is no escape. They are everywhere!

Heather said...

Great post! Still laughing at Chris and Lexi!

Chris Bailey said...

Louisa,
That's a beautiful dream. I'm all for world peace, too!

Chris Bailey said...

Heather,
I notice there's a cat in your photo. Hmmmm.

Heather said...

And the cat knows how to use the internet . . .

Louisa Cornell said...

Going out now to buy a better quality of cat food for my cats. Just in case.

M.V.Freeman said...

This was an incredible post.

I want to make people keep turning the page--to find out what happens. I want good to win...and redemption to happen.

In short, just a good read that people want to keep coming back for more...

(And y'all just crack me up)