Thursday, January 13, 2011

Romance Magician Louisa Cornell

There are those who say romance novels are fairy tales written for grown women. I happen to like fairytales. One of my favorite Broadway musicals, Cinderella, is based on a fairytale.

Through the pages of romance novels, I have played pall mall with the Bridgertons. I have had tea with the very high-in-the-instep Bedwyns. I’ve plotted with the Desperate Duchesses and giggled with the Wallflowers.

I have loved it all so much that I decided to try my hand at writing some “fairytales” of my own.

I have wanted to be a writer since I was nine years old. A career as an opera singer - a tale of adventure in itself - and the twists and turns of life have taught me that fate and love are the two most powerful forces in the universe.

I've sung opera in Salzburg. I've lived in a small English village. I've been a teacher, a veterinary technician, and a funeral home coordinator. Now I manage a bakery. I create confections to help people celebrate those moments in life that bring us all joy.

Through it all I've seen my share of villains and ogres, frogs and princes, heroes and heroines. This much I know to be true. None of life's characters are ever what they seem. Everyone is something more, and something less. Love is the one thing that lays our souls bare to each other. Love creates the only real beauty in the world.

For a long time, reading fairytales was enough for me. Then I had to write them, because there are stories in my head that simply must be told.

Pam Bolton-Holifield w/a Louisa Cornell

2008 Golden Heart Finalist
2009 Golden Heart Finalist

2007 Royal Ascot Winner
2008 Royal Ascot Winner
2009 Royal Ascot Winner

2008 Daphne du Maurier Winner
2009 Daphne du Maurier Winner

2 comments:

Cari Hislop said...

Louisa, your life would make the most amazing book! Still, I'll settle for one day reading your Regency romances!
Especially the one where the heroine has a pet snake! I think that's brilliant - writing outside the box!!!

Christine said...

Louisa: I would love to chat with you about your life overseas. Wow! What an amazing journey. I know your publishing success is just around the corner when I see all the awards on your resume. But even more so, I know you ARE a success today when I spend time with you via our sisterhood at Southern Magic and on the Internet. You are one in a million!

:-)