Sunday, January 09, 2011

Rewriting

**Sometimes, when we are still unpublished, we think that if only we could get The Call, everything would be easier. We’d have an editor and our books would be on the shelves. And, yes, while this is true and it is a most wonderful thing, there is still work to be done. The kind of work that when you get it as an unpublished writer, you are discouraged and think you’ll never get there.

But I have to tell you that part of your life as a published author is rewriting. Successfully, regularly, and when asked. I have recently done a lot of rewriting. And right now, I’m rewriting the novella that’s due in two weeks. Why? Because my editor wanted my internal conflicts to be better. I thought they were pretty good in the 25 pages I sent to her, but she was right as always and they could be better.

So I chucked those 25 pages and started again. Now, I have only days until it’s due and a lot of pages still to write. Which means I will be scarce, but I’ll check in and report on my progress when I can.

Remember, if you’ve recently gotten a rejection with a suggestion for massive rewrites, don’t be discouraged. Published writers have to do it too. And so will you, so get used to it now and get busy.

**From Lynn's personal blog, November 2009. The deadline has been met, but there's always another one. And there's always rewriting to be done.... Chin up, keep writing. :)

6 comments:

Louisa Cornell said...

I know exactly what you mean, Pixie Sister! I have EXTENSIVE rewrites to do on my latest because my agent had PAGES of suggestions, questions, etc.

And I am really not looking forward to it, but it has to be done and as you said, once I am published I will STILL have to do rewrites!

Christine said...

I know what you mean. I am constantly revising. And I have a letter from an agent that has suggested revisions. I'm working on them and resubmitting in the spring.

Lynn Raye Harris said...

Whoa, Louisa! I understand pages of rewrites though. It's all meant to make it better, but it can be disheartening. You will persevere!

And yep, rewrites are a guarantee when you publish. I'm waiting for what I expect will be massive ones on the book I just turned in. I took it a bit out there, and I think I'm about to be reeled back in, LOL.

Lynn Raye Harris said...

Hey, Christine! Yep, revisions are a part of life. I don't change everything, and I don't change it to exactly what my editor says. She's offering solutions, but so long as I fix the problem, it's really up to me how I do it. It takes a little while to get that working rhythm right, but we have it now. We both trust each other.

Good luck with the ones you're working on now! :)

Carla Swafford said...

LOL! Considering how hard it is to get published (at least in my case), I can't imagine it gets any easier afterwards. Only you do get a book to look at for your effort.

So I say, bring on the rewrites!!

M.V.Freeman said...

Rewrites can be frustrating and demoralizing. Like you said--it must be done. No matter what. I'm unpubbed, but everytime I go back in--it gets better.

I can't imagine the time constraints you have to get your re-writes in, and you have my undying respect for it.

May the rewrites become easier for you!