Friday, December 17, 2010

A WRITER'S TWELVE DAYS OF CHRISTMAS

This season tends to get a bit crazy when you run a bakery. And are working on a rewrite of your latest manuscript. And trying to keep a maniacal cat from destroying your Christmas tree. And trying to get a homicidal chihuahua to sit still in his Christmas outfit long enough to get a picture to give to his Nana. And trying to get Christmas cards out to friends and family all over the world. And ... well, you get the picture.

At times like this I really wish I had a Magic Fairy in my corner. A Housecleaning Fairy would be nice. A Christmas Gift Buying and Wrapping Fairy would be helpful. A Personal Chef and Physical Trainer Fairy would be great, especially if he looked like Gerard Butler. (If he looks like Gerard Butler who the heck cares if he can cook?)

So, at this magical time of the year, what sort of Magic Fairy would you wish for? And here is my take on what a Writing Fairy might bring me, if such a thing exists. Quick! Clap your hands if you believe in a Writing Fairy! Maybe she'll show up!




The Twelve Days of a Writer’s Christmas

The first day of Christmas I wish the Writing Fairy would give to me – AN EDITOR who LOVES my stories!

The second day of Christmas I wish the Writing Fairy would give to me – TWO Characters who hate each other and take exactly 95,000 words to fall in love and AN EDITOR who LOVES my stories.

The third day of Christmas I wish the Writing Fairy would give to me – THREE Rita nominations, TWO Characters who hate each other and take exactly 95,000 words to fall in love and AN EDITOR who LOVES my stories.

The fourth day of Christmas I wish the Writing Fairy would give to me – FOUR New York Times bestsellers, THREE Rita nominations, TWO Characters who hate each other and take exactly 95,000 words to fall in love and AN EDITOR who LOVES my stories!

The fifth day of Christmas I wish the Writing Fairy would give to me – FIVE Books already written and ready to sell. FOUR New York Times bestsellers, THREE Rita nominations, TWO Characters who hate each other and take exactly 95,000 words to fall in love and AN EDITOR who Loves my stories!

The sixth day of Christmas I wish the Writing Fairy would give to me – SIX Offers on my next manuscript, FIVE Books already written and ready to sell, FOUR New York Times bestsellers, THREE Rita nominations, TWO Characters who hate each other and take exactly 95,000 words to fall in love and AN EDITOR who Loves my stories!

The seventh day of Christmas I wish the Writing Fairy would give to me – SEVEN Days of uninterrupted writing, SIX Offers on my next manuscript, FIVE Books already written and ready to sell, FOUR New York Times bestsellers, THREE Rita nominations, TWO Characters who hate each other and take exactly 95,000 words to fall in love and AN EDITOR who LOVES my stories!

The eighth day of Christmas I wish the Writing Fairy would give to me – An Extra EIGHT Hours each day just for writing, SEVEN Days of uninterrupted writing, SIX Offers on my next manuscript, FIVE Books already written and ready to sell, FOUR New York Times bestsellers, THREE Rita nominations, TWO Characters who hate each other and take exactly 95,000 words to fall in love and AN EDITOR who LOVES my stories.

The ninth day of Christmas I wish the Writing Fairy would give to me – NINE new research books on Regency England, An Extra EIGHT hours each day just for writing, SEVEN days of uninterrupted writing, SIX Offers on my next manuscript, FIVE Books already written and ready to sell, FOUR New York Times bestsellers, THREE Rita nominations, TWO Characters who hate each other and take exactly 95,000 words to fall in love and AN EDITOR who LOVES my stories.

The tenth day of Christmas I wish the Writing Fairy would give to me – TEN Trips to writing conferences all expenses paid, NINE New research books on Regency England, An extra EIGHT Hours each day just for writing, SEVEN Days of uninterrupted writing, SIX Offers on my next manuscript, FIVE Books already written and ready to sell, FOUR New York Times bestsellers, THREE Rita nominations, TWO Characters who hate each other and take exactly 95,000 words to fall in love and AN EDITOR who LOVES my stories.

The eleventh day of Christmas I wish the Writing Fairy would give to me – ELEVEN Heroes who are too mad, bad and dangerous to know, TEN Trips to writing conferences all expenses paid, NINE New research books on Regency England, An extra EIGHT Hours each day just for writing, SEVEN Days of uninterrupted writing, SIX Offers on my next manuscript, FIVE Books already written and ready to sell, FOUR New York Times bestsellers, THREE Rita nominations, TWO Characters who hate each other and take exactly 95,000 words to fall in love and AN EDITOR who LOVES my stories.

The twelfth day of Christmas I wish the Writing Fairy would give to me – TWELVE Days and Nights with Richard Armitage (for research purposes, of course!) ELEVEN Heroes who are too mad, bad and dangerous to know, TEN Trips to writing conferences all expenses paid, NINE New research books on Regency England, An extra EIGHT Hours each day just for writing, SEVEN Days of uninterrupted writing, SIX Offers on my next manuscript, FIVE Books already written and ready to sell, FOUR New York Times bestsellers, THREE Rita nominations, TWO Characters who hate each other and take exactly 95,000 words to fall in love and AN EDITOR who LOVES my stories.


Merry Christmas and the Happiest of New Years to some of the best writers and greatest ladies ever to come out of the South!

21 comments:

Vanessa Barneveld said...

Hi, Louisa! I'm clapping my hands (and clicking my heels) madly. It sounds like I'm looking for a magic writing fairy just like yours! Can you send her my way once she's granted all your wishes, please?

Have a fabulous Christmas!

Cari Hislop said...

That was brilliant! And Richard Armitage...doesn't he have one of THE sexiest voices? Hypnotic!

Being a curious wench, I'd love to see the Christmas picture of your dog!!!

I hope you get your wish and find some time to write!!!

Carla Swafford said...

If I had 12 wishes that would come true, I would go crazy trying to figure out what I want the most. Yes. Even with 12.

Of course, the #1 wish is that 2011 is the year for me. I get the call, sell all of my books and start counting down the days to retirement and writing full time.

Amy Atwell said...

Louisa, what a charming post. I hope there is a Magic Fairy beneath your tree so maybe you can enjoy your 12 wishes after Christmas. Personally, the housecleaning, errand-running, standing-in-line-at-the-post-office fairies would be at the top of my list this weekend. LOL

Wishing you and all the Magicians a fabulous Christmas and hoping all your writing wishes come true in 2011 (or sooner!)

Lexi said...

Clever post and good wishes, Louisa! I'll have to think about my wishes, but you've given me a lot of good ideas.

M.V.Freeman said...

Louisa,
This was wonderful! I want those 12 days of Christmas, and if I can't I'm all for the cleaning fairies to show up...LOL

Linda Henderson said...

I'd wish for a magic fairy to clean my house. I've been sick so it's not in the best of shape.

Louisa Cornell said...

Hello, Vanessa! Thanks for dropping by all the way from Oz! I will definitely send that magic writing fairy your way when I am finished with her!

Happy, Happy Christmas!

Louisa Cornell said...

Oh, I know, Cari! His voice is just AMAZING!!

I will have to post Frodo's Christmas photo soon!

And here's to all of us finding more time to write in our stockings!

Louisa Cornell said...

Carla, I am willing to give you all of my wishes too if it will help your #1 Wish to come true! You SO deserve it and I know it is going to happen! 2011 is your year!

Louisa Cornell said...

Thank you, Amy!

And that fairy of yours can come my way anytime she gets ready! She sounds like a very useful gal to have around!

Merry Christmas, sweetie and a fabulous 2011 ! Hope to see you in New York!

Louisa Cornell said...

Thanks, Lexi ! Here's hoping ALL of your wishes come true! You have definitely worked in the trenches long enough to deserve them!

Merry Christmas to you and everyone at your house!

Louisa Cornell said...

Thank you, M.V. !! I hope the Writing Fairy grants ALL of our wishes.

And if I can get the Cleaning Fairy to show up I will send her your way if cleaning my house doesn't do her in!


Merry Christmas!

Louisa Cornell said...

Oh, Linda! Feel better, dear! There is nothing worse than feeling poorly at Christmas. That Cleaning Fairy has got her work cut out for her if she visits all of us!

Merry Christmas and a much healthier New Year!

Carla Swafford said...

Awww! ::sniff, sniff:: Thanks, Louisa.

I know I'm looking forward to buying your books.

jo robertson said...

What a delightful post, Louisa. I love your version of the Twelve Days of Christmas.

My favorite is the seven uninterrupted writing days. Yeah, I really wish for that one!

Louisa Cornell said...

Hi, Jo !

Thanks for dropping by! I know exactly what you mean. At this point seven days of uninterrupted writing sounds like heaven!!

Helene Young said...

Hi Louisa, if you're sending your magic fairy to Australia to visit Vanessa, can you point her in my direction on the way home to you? I could do with a little help in the writing department myself at the moment...

Loved your take on the twelve days!

Hope you have a fabulous Christmas and New Year!

Gillian Layne said...

This is adorable (and too true!). Best of luck with your cat and your tree. :)

Louisa Cornell said...

I will definitely ask the Writing Fairy to visit you once she leaves Vanessa! Wish I could travel with her to Oz and visit you all. You will be having a much warmer Christmas than those of us Stateside!


Happy Christmas and a Fabulous New Year!

Louisa Cornell said...

Thank you, Gillian!

So far I have outsmarted the cat, but it is a little disconcerting that I have to work so hard to do so!

I hope the weather in Kansas isn't too cold!

Merry Christmas and a Contract Filled New Year to you, my dear!