Friday, October 01, 2010

Moonlight and Magnolia

I am attending my first conference at Moonlight and Magnolia.

Here is what I have learned so far:

  • Everyone stays up late. (Not for the early to bed people)
  • No matter how comfortable the shoe, your feet still hurt.
  • Pitching can cause you to vapor-lock, but if you smile and keep going..it will work out.
  • You can always learn something.
  • Drink water (easy to forget)
  • Eat well (three squares for some of us...for others just eat something!)
  • Take a rest if you can. --(Like I am now, writing this blog)
  • Smile, smile, smile and say hi to everyone (I'd rather retreat, but I'm working on this)

So for all you veteran souls of conferences large and small, what is your best advice and what have you learned?

10 comments:

Christine said...

And burn the spanx! No, just kidding. Great conference and lots of fun. Oh, and we are "learning" a lot.

M.V.Freeman said...

Christine,
So far this has been a great M&M.
A lot of fun...and my feet are killing me...

Callie James said...

As a non-veteran of conferences, I would say for all that you pay to attend, make sure you enjoy.

And eat dessert!

M.V.Freeman said...

So true Callie,
And dessert is always a must...
but I have been drinking tea. :0)

Jeanie said...

Mary, you've got the right idea. Relax and enjoy the experience, learn from the workshops and network, network, network! It's so much fun meeting other people who are passionate about writing. A win-win situation. So glad your first experience has been a good one. And soak those feet!

Carla Swafford said...

M&M and Silken Sands are my two favorite conferences to go to. People are friendly and everything is so nice. Oh, my third favorite is Shreveport's. Smaller scale and super nice members/attendees.

M.V.Freeman said...

Jeanie,
I so wish you could have come! This was wonderful. I have done my best to net work, probably scared few people in the process. LOL

I will most certainly come to this conference again!

M.V.Freeman said...

Carla,
I hope you can come next year! (And Callie, I hope you can too!). This was a fabulous conference. I enjoyed it. Michael Hague's workshop was perfect..as well as Allison Brennan (SO gracious).

Such lovely people..all of them.
:-)

Marley Delarose, Author said...

I learned in the last conference that carrying a rolling briefcase saved me energy I needed to get around and fewer trips to the room.

The main thing though, was to take advantage of each and every opportunity for pitching, for meeting other writers and to thank anyone who had a part in this lovely conference.

Hey there was some great food, too, including dessert.

M.V.Freeman said...

Marley,
That is an excellent idea! I am going to have to remember that.

And oh yes, dessert is always good! :)