Monday, October 04, 2010

Addicted

I have finally acknowledged I am addicted to the internet. I am not a complete luddite.

I know Carla will find that hard to believe, but it is true. Without knowing how, or when, I have become a slave to the information highway. Is the first step in becoming a techno goddess? I didn't embrace this path easily, but the fact became undeniable this morning. I woke, raced to my desk to boot up my laptop before getting my first eye-opening jolt of caffeine. It was Saturday morning!

What makes Saturday morning special? Well, it's the same situation on Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday mornings--the prospect of becoming an instant millionaire! That's right, I am addicted to the lottery results. Quit your snickering. Someone has to win and I believe it will be me. Who cares about the odds?

Along this path to total dependence, several things have happened. First, I became addicted to the online news. It didn't take me long to realize the information found there ended up in my newspaper the following day. Now I feel on top of things as they happen. I am just as impatient as the rest of the world so it is no wonder that I would feel superior to my newspaper reading friends. I heard it all sooner. Where else could I find out that David Kelley is bringing Wonder Woman back to TV, our government was involved in clandestine experiments in Guatemala and DWTS's judge, Bruno Tonlioni, wore revealing tights, leaving nothing to the imagination, in a 1980's music video? And, all of this life changing information was made known to me before 5 a.m.!

The best side benefit of my addiction is I find myself writing more. I am determined not to become one of those people addicted to the internet, to the exclusion of everything else. So, I really need to make time each day to sit down and write to prove I am not under its spell. Then, it's only natural I would reward my writing endeavors with a quick check of current events when I'm finished. Who knows? Maybe Face Book, Twitter and social networking are next on my horizon.

4 comments:

Wendy Marcus said...

Very enjoyable post. I'm addicted to Spider Solitare. It's how I reward myself for writing, or how I kill time awaiting inspiration.

Heather said...

The internet connection at my house went out this weekend, and that is when I realized exactly how much time I spend on the internet! I pulled out my laptop to write, and the half hour to hour that I usually spend checking my email, Facebook, Twitter, blogs, etc. evaporated. It was a horrible, stranded feeling (like leaving the house without your cell phone). I am happy to be at the office with a wonderful internet connection

Carla Swafford said...

That's the way to do it, Diane. Award yourself with internet after you write some. Or schedule internet use.

And yes, I am a little suprised.
:-)

Christine said...

I love going on line to check for information. I use EverNote to clip stuff and safe it for later in different folders--info for research and cooking and ...

And it is a great way to check in with our friends! Writing is a lonely business so the Internet keeps us in the loop.