Monday, July 05, 2010

HOMEWORK: Assignment #1

I have decided to try and inspire us self-saboteurs to write.

I was given this idea by a fellow writer, Nicki Salcedo from Georgia Romance Writers group, who called these challenges Homework assignments. It was because of these assignments, I managed to clean up my partial and send it off in time for the Maggies. (I just won't mention the gnashing of teeth).

Note: www.candacehavens.com also has an excellent site/group that challenges writers to complete their manuscripts. If you like this challenge, I'd encourage you to check it out.


HOMEWORK CHALLENGE:
This is a 3 week challenge. At the end of the 3 weeks, if you managed to complete ALL assignments. A small prize will be awarded--such as chocolate, tea, a book...or something odd, you never know what I am going to do.
***IMPORTANT**** I can ONLY send prizes to those within the United States.....I apologize for this, but I figure if I sent you chocolate, not only would it take forever, but cost more than if you bought it yourself. But I will give a HUGE congrats on this blog.

DIRECTIONS:

  1. Find a partner, a friend, fellow writer (they can participate in the challenge or not). They will receive your pages. Once you find a partner, decide whether you want them to take a look at the pages for a critique (as well as if you want to critique theirs), or just have them verify that you sent the required work.
  2. Each week I will post the Assignment, and everyone should comment on what they accomplished or did not. Tentative days I will post the assignment are: July 11, 2010, July 17, 2010, July 25, 2010 **RESULTS will be posted on July 31, 2010.
  3. Prizes: This works on the honor system. You post that you have made it, I will believe you. Only you will know if you lied. For those who are to get prizes, I will post an email at the end of the three weeks, and you can contact me directly with your mailing address. I want to keep your information as private as possible.

I realize that the ending of this challenge coincides with RWA national conference. If there are not many participants, I will run this again in August or September if everyone likes it. Plus, all the kinks will be worked out and I may have new and evil rules....but I am hoping to keep it simple.

Are you ready? I'm going to start easy on you....

ASSIGNMENT #1

Write 15 new pages of your story --OR-- Revise 30 pages of your current story.

DUE BY MIDNIGHT JULY 11, 2010

Find your partner: GO!!!

Good luck! ;-)

6 comments:

Christine said...

You know I am sooooo in on this challenge. How bout I start that new one I told you about? The free write style for me is the way to go. :-)

Jeanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeanie said...

P.S. The deleted comment was mine. Somehow, the site posted the same comment twice!

M.V.Freeman said...

Excellent Christine !
I think that is an excellent idea. Woohoo!
I'm looking forward to it.
I'm going to write fifteen new pages of my rewrite.
And try to finagle some revising too...

M.V.Freeman said...

Jeanie,
I will certainly keep you posted on this. I have found that this has pushed me faster. Other wise I will fritter away my time.
Maybe next time you might want to try it for fun!
You may win some chocolate.
(I so understand about the deleted comment it happens to me all the time-- especially on facebook)

Christine said...

I just missed the assignment--well maybe not--I have Sunday to work on it--will be revising my requested ms. Woot!