Thursday, February 18, 2010

That Which I Greatly Feared...

The Bible speaks of Job who possessed great wealth and was prosperous. Today we would say Job was “sitting on top of the world”. And yet with all his success and riches the fear of losing it all had lingered in his mind. For when he was stricken and everything taken from him, Job declared the thing he’d greatly feared had come upon him.

I can relate to Job. Last year my dream came true and I was sitting on top of the world. More like tap dancing. Having my book contracted and seeing it published was the culmination of a journey I’d been traveling for years. And yet, niggling in the back of my mind hovered that fear. Could I do it again? My first book was published but what if the editor doesn’t want to buy another one? What if I am a one-book wonder?

Now, as I prepare to submit my second book, the thing I greatly feared has come upon me.

My stomach is in knots. Doubt and insecurity has crept in. So many scenarios of rejection crowd into my mind there’s no room left for the positive images of success. My fear has paralyzed me.

Then I remember the words of another man the Bible speaks of. Right before David strode down to the battlefield to confront Goliath, he proclaimed God had delivered him from the bear and He had delivered him from the lion. Surely He would deliver him from the uncircumcised Philistine. David rehearsed his victories so when he ran down to battle he was confident in his triumph.

SoI begin to rehearse what I know.

I know that I was in the right place at the right time for certain people to come into my life and open doors that I otherwise would not have had access to. I know that in spite of the odds my manuscript was chosen for publication. I know that the dream to have people read my stories and actually like them have come to fruition. Surely, surely it can come to pass for me again.

So when fear arises—and it will because I’m humanI have evidence to look back on. The evidence of my experiences. The evidence of my victories. The evidence of my faith.

Now, as I prepare to submit my second book, I remember two things.

Job overcame because he allowed God to become bigger than his fear.

And like David, if I place my stone of faith into my slingshot of hope I too can slay my giant of fear.

13 comments:

M.V.Freeman said...

Naima,
I don't have the experience to give you any words of wisdom, but I think the greatest bit of courage is sending it out there.

I hear that the fear never truly goes away, but you are a strong person...I know you'll just keep moving forward. :-)

You Will succeed!!!

Callie James said...

Ditto to what Mary said. And you have to consider, too, that you have the coolest and most supportive family and writer friends in the world. With all those good vibes out there, how can you go wrong?

You're an amazing writer, Naima, and a wonderful person. You will succeed in all you do.

Jeanie said...

Naima, you can do it, girl! What choice do you have? None! You're a writer; that's what you do. You are NOT a one-book wonder. This is the first of many to come. Have faith and think positive. There is more out there waiting for you than you can grasp. Open up and let it happen!

JoAnn said...

Naima, there's a great guest blog on this very subject at http://cba-ramblings.blogspot.com/ (Rachelle Gardner's blog -- scroll down; it's from yesterday).

I agree with everything that has been said here already. God has taken you to this place. He's not going to abandon and leave you struggling! Go girl!

Louisa Cornell said...

You'll be fine, sweetie! Better than fine ! Just remember, don't tell your boat how big the ocean is. Tell the ocean how big your God is !! You came to this place for a reason and I just KNOW that reason is to have many, many, many more of your books published. So get busy! We're dying to read the next one !!

Naima Simone said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Naima Simone said...

Hi, Mary!
Thank you for your words!I know I will truly fail if I don't send it so I'm binding up the fear and going forward. Besides, what door God opens no man can close!

Thank you again!!

Naima Simone said...

Hi, Callie!
You are absolutely right about my family. They've been pushing, supporting, lambasting--hee! hee! Just kidding! But they do encourage me every day. They are amazing and I know without a doubut how blessed I am.

Thank you for the kind words, Callie. Both about me as a writer and person. They mean so much.

Naima Simone said...

Hi, Jeanie!
Yes ma'am! LOL! You sound like my father..."SEND IT OUT NOW!!!" LOL! That's not a bad thing at all, by the way...

Naima Simone said...

Wow JoAnn!! Just...wow!! She described exactly how I'm feeling!! She also pointed out things I never thought of. The positive aspects of this second book. Even though I'd determined to just recall all that God has done for me and how far He's brought me, what I didn't do was think about the positive things about this second book. I just resolved to trust God to bring me through. But this puts a whole new spin on it! Thank you so much!! I have to go visit her blog!

Naima Simone said...

Louisa, I LOVE that! Can I borrow it? LOL! That is awesome! Thank you so much for your words. I'm believing and standing in agreement with all of you. You are all so amazing!

Cari Hislop said...

I like the image of putting a manuscript into a slingshot and hurling it with force at fear.

Good luck slinging your book!!! If you love your second book as much as your loved your first book, you'll hit your target!!!!

Christine said...

Naima--you will get this too... I just feel you have a talent and a connection to writing and sharing. Doubt never goes away, but faith doesn't either.

God Bless!