Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Mama's Got a Brand New Toy !!

Well sort of ! I guess my computer has always had the movie maker thingy on it. However, I never in a million years EVER thought I might like to try it. I mean, I've seen all of the book trailers out there. Some of them are AMAZING !! And then I read that the author did it herself. What?!

I consoled myself with the idea that I am the oldest aspiring romance writer in history and therefore I am not expected to know anything about making a book trailer. I assured myself that when the time came I would call on my nephew or one of my former students (I have a couple who work on the Geek Squad.)

I mean, my niece and nephews call me "computer challenged!" (They use that term because their mothers clipped them on the back of the head when they said "Aunt Pam is an idiot." You know that quick, nearly lethal slap with the hand to the back of the head that makes you bite your tongue and makes your eyes water? Hey, they deserved it! Aunt Pam is NOT stupid. She grew up when a word processor was called a pen and paper! I am a LUDDITE, not an idiot. Big difference!

Where was I? Oh yes, book trailers ! So, my CP is afraid I am losing my mind (I can't believe she still thinks I'm sane after all this time. Damn, I'm good!)so she had me plug in my headset. (Did you know with a headset you can talk to each other through IM? How cool is that! Oh, for cryin' out loud, at least ACT surprised. I was.)Then she gave me a lesson on how to make my own book trailer. No, I have no intention of showing you yet. I just had my first lesson. But this stuff is SO COOL !!

So, the question for today is, do you make your own book trailers - for practice, for fun, or to take a break from writing, or to procrastinate from writing, or just to assure your CP you haven't taken up permanent residence in the Cuckoo Hotel because your revisions are making you nuts?

Have you ever thought about making one? Have you ever thought about hiring some geeky kid to make one? (Or some hot computer nerd, hey it could happen!)

And, more important, would a book trailer make you more or less likely to buy a book? Why or why not? (No, I won't count off for poor spelling or grammar.)

I really want to know what you think. Until then, I'll be ... At the Movies !! Or more than likely working on revisions while they fit me for the little jacket that fastens in the back. Could I get a room with a view of the beach?

6 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

You know this is so not fair. You tease us with your new art form and do you post it.

NOOOOO!

::Patting foot:: I'm waiting.

M.V.Freeman said...

That is so cool Louisa!
I would love to do my own trailer..the hard part is finding the photos.

I'm with Carla, you so have to show us that trailer! :-)

Callie James said...

Yes, waiting for the trailer.

To answer your questions, a book trailer won't sell me on a book. Now give me an awesome cover, I'll pick it up. A great title, you bet. But the back of the book better have a compelling story or it goes back on the shelf.

Hey, I never have time to read, so when I do, I'm very picky. :)

Very funny blog!

Jeanie said...

I am so impressed with you! You are not the only computer dummy. I have no idea what you are talking about, so no, I have not made a book trailer! And you are NOT the oldest person ever trying to write and sell a romance. I am several years OLDER than you, missy.

Did you feel that slap to the back of your head?

Average Terran said...

I would be truly honored if you gave your poetic advice on my blog of poetry and follow it.


http://thehumanicana.blogspot.com/

JoAnn said...

That's awesome, Louisa!