Thursday, January 14, 2010

What does it mean to be a bestseller?

Totally spaced on my blog day (Monday) and forgot I had to get it done. I've had a lot going on lately, and my mind has definitely been elsewhere. But I did have good news last week that absolutely delighted and stunned me.

My second book for Harlequin Presents, Cavelli's Lost Heir, hit the USA Today Bestseller list at #112. As a new published author, of course I had the list in my sights someday. It was something I hoped to achieve, but I was pretty sure I'd have to sell a single title novel to do it.

Six Harlequin Presents titles made the list for the week of January 3, 2010. Why did it happen? Well, HPs sell really well, first of all. And second, Harlequin changed their sales tracking in such a way that made series titles eligible for the list. I don't know the specifics, and I don't really care since it might boggle my non-mathematical mind, but I do love the result. HPs have ALWAYS sold extremely well, and now we simply have another barometer of the line's success.

I'm excited to see if the books hit each month now. There are no guarantees, of course, but it will be fun watching.

What has it meant to be a bestseller? In the week since I learned the news, I've been floating on air. I've had calls and emails and everyone has been so happy and supportive. It's hard for me to believe that just a little over a year ago, I sold my first book. I was prepared for the slow steady climb (and I still have to make that climb), but I feel like I got on-board a rocket for a moment and it propelled me somewhere I always wanted to go but didn't dream I'd reach so quickly. It's been amazing.

And yet I have to come back down to earth. I have revisions to finish, copy edits to read, and two books due before June 1st. Guess I better get busy, huh?

11 comments:

Callie James said...

Such good news, Lynn!

Let's hope it's the first of many best selling lists. :)

Jeanie said...

Oh, I love to hear good news like this! Congratulations, I KNOW your are excited and happy. What a fabulous feeling it must be. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Lynn Raye Harris said...

Thank you, Callie! It's been very exciting.

Jeanie, thanks! It is a fabulous feeling -- and one I hope all my SM chapter mates get to experience someday!!! Dreams do come true. :)

Christine said...

All your hard work is blooming into wonderful successes for you, Lynn. Your story makes me have hope for all my unpublished friends. The dream is attainable.

Christy Reece said...

Congratulations, Lynn! How awesome!

Lynn Raye Harris said...

Hi, Christine! The dream is definitely attainable. Never give up, never surrender! ;)

Lynn Raye Harris said...

Thank you, Christy! :)

Carla Swafford said...

Congratulations, Lynn!

Cari Hislop said...

Congratulations from me too! I'm not sure how Harlequin work with authors, but I hope that there's a nice fat check in it for you!!!!!
Especially since you're setting the keyboard alight...two books by July?
If I was wearing a hat I'd take it off!

Marie Campbell said...

Congratulations, Lynn! What wonderful news! And I'm sure, just the first of many more to come!

M.V.Freeman said...

You go Lynn!!!
Woohoo!!