Sunday, December 27, 2009

New Beginnings

You know you are getting older when you hear yourself saying to anyone who will listen, "I can't believe it's already the end of the year." It really is true; time seems to go faster as you get older. Not that I will admit to being old, just older.

Year end is also a time for new beginnings. Diets, resolutions and promises I make to myself, all come front and center as the New Year approaches. I can't promise I will be as slim as Marie Osmond next year, or that I will be less sarcastic in the future (I'll try, but come on--it's me), but I can say with certainty I will be more productive as a writer in 2010.

I am looking forward to writing now that the holidays are almost over. There is a direct correlation between my productivity as a writer and the weather outside. There's more when it is awful outside. This year I should be even more prolific since Santa surprised me with a new chair for my office. The old one was given to us for free and, you know what they say about you get what you pay for? Let's just say that it was priced fairly.

I never get tired of new beginnings. The new year is a time to reflect, resolve and re-dedicate. I am spending the last days of 2009 doing just that.

I wish all of my friends success with their writing during the coming year. I hope you are pressed by deadlines and scurrying to juggle your home life, while wondering how you are going to keep everything on an even keel. That would mean you are going somewhere in this crazy business we have elected to enter. Happy writing, everyone!

8 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

Yeah! Diane! Me too. I'm so ready to write and nothing else. Well, except working my day job. But thankfully that's not until the 4th.

Christine said...

I really liked this post. I love to reevaluate every year and reflect upon the goals accomplished. I also reevaluate upon my "yes" list and tweak it both for family and career.

Best to you in your new chair in 2010!

M.V.Freeman said...

Diane, I am also reflecting, and thinking, and writing.

The new year has so much hope...and this year, I really have to dust off that goal list.
:-)
Ooh, and I LOVE new chairs...you should put up a picture! :)

Callie James said...

Here's to new goals! I'm with you on that one. I do intend to write a lot, but one of my goals this year is to learn to relax. My health really suffered in 2009 due to that workaholic tendency of mine.

So the new year for me will involve writing, but my first goal is to find balance. I haven't had that in quite some time.

Let's face it. Nothing is worth our health (especially at my age!).

Paula said...

Balance is a good thing, indeed. SO is having goals and shooting for them as hard as you can. This is a tough business, and it takes determination and perseverance.

Best of luck to all of you in 2010. May you reach every goal you set!

Jeanie said...

Balance is something I have a hard time with, since I work full time and write. I have taken a break over the holidays. Needed a little refueling. Ready for the new year and a new WIP. Best of luck to all, and may your muse be with you!

Christy Reece said...

Great post, Diane! And I always tend to be reflective at the end of the year. What I accomplished, what I didn't accomplish and what I wish I had done differently. So many things to think about! I don't do well with New Year's resolutions but I have promised myself and my hubby that I will be more health conscious this year. Sitting in a chair for hours on end has turned me into feeling like the worst kind of slug. Next year promises to be just as busy, but I will strive to live it more healthfully.

Wishing all my Southern Magic sisters and brothers a successful and wonderful 2010. May all your wishes come true and all your goals achieved!

Diane Richmond said...

Aren't we all lucky to belong to such a supportive group? I love you all. You always know when I need cheering up. I can not send a picture of the chair until my butt doesn't flop over the sides. Did I mention I will be starting my new re-dedicated healthy body plan this week?