Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Holiday Open House today! (And some inspirational chatter)

Hey, y'all! Today is the Holiday Open House over at eHarlequin! Pop over and chat with the authors -- there are prizes too! There will be live chats, and also just chatting all day long in the Open House threads.

This is my first time participating, and though I have to run out later today for an appointment, I'll be back chatting all day long. Visit your favorite authors, ask questions, talk about books! It's a fun time.

Because today is my blog day over here, I should give a little more effort than just to talk about the Holiday Open House, right?

December has been a busy month for me! I had a mid-October deadline, which I met, and then I got revisions 3 weeks later. Took 2 weeks to do them, but happily the book was accepted (THE DEVIL'S HEART, due out in July 2010 in the UK - US date TBA). In the meantime, however, I had a novella due on Dec 11. By the time I turned in revisions on TDH, I had two weeks left to write the story. And since my editor didn't quite like the 25 pages I'd given her previously, I had to start over.

Amazingly, I did it, and I turned the story in with 3 days to spare (no idea if I'll be revising yet or not!). I wrote 21k in 10 days, which surpasses any speed record I previously had. I stunned myself by getting it done, truly.

Which leads me to say to you: what do you think you could do if you really had to? The next time you think you can't write 50k in a month (NaNo) or can't get 10k done in a week, shove those doubts aside and give it a try. You honestly don't know until your back is against the wall.

Hope to see some of you at the open house today! And I hope to hear about great feats of writing that amazed you once you finished!

5 comments:

Christine said...

Congratulations Lynn! Woohoo. You worked so hard and it is paying off. I think I could write the first draft fast... it's the revision process that concerns me for time.

I've done 50K in a week. Would like to do 50K again and then revise faster.

M.V.Freeman said...

Hey Lynn!
Sorry, I wish I could be there. I am thinking of you!

Congrats on the getting the book in!!! Woohoo!

Lynn Raye Harris said...

Wow, Christine! 50k in a week?! 21k in 10 days about killed me. Of course, the revision happened as I wrote and I turned it in to my editor. And she may want more revisions!

Hi, Mary! Thanks!

Gwen Hernandez said...

Good job, Lynn! I've had stellar days when I knew exactly where I wanted to go with the story. I sat down one day and wrote 10K, but that has never been repeated, and I never finished that MS because I wrote myself into a corner.

I've been aiming for 1000 wpd and am doing pretty well with that. Sometimes that's an hour, sometimes 12. I tend to revise as I go, so that slows me down...

Lynn Raye Harris said...

Hey, Gwen! I think 1k a day is a good goal. In fact, that's my goal when I'm working steadily toward a deadline that's a few weeks away. I always know that as I hit the downhill to the end, I'll write more per day -- usually significantly more. :)