Saturday, December 12, 2009

A Classic Tale

This evening I watched the 2003 version of PETER PAN. I have to say PETER PAN is up there with BEAUTY AND THE BEAST as one of my favorite classic stories.

The story has so many aspects from entertainment to the psychological boundaries placed on men and women. I could go on about how men have problems with growing up and taking on responsibilities and how many romance novels contend with that. You know, the hero finally meets his Wendy and grows up and takes on responsibility, though in the story tonight he flew away.

Plus the story is a bit of romance. “I remember kisses, let me see. Aye, that is a kiss. A powerful thing.”

I loved the movie HOOK too. The colors, photography, and play of words between the 40 plus Peter and the young Lost Boys were wonderful. To me, the theme of the movie is to take time out of life and enjoy it.

For myself, the story PETER PAN is one of my favorites for a couple reasons. Wanting to stay young is obvious, but flying...the adventure and the freedom...I close my eyes and I can twirl and swoop along the currents above the treetops. The flying would be great. I understand the desire to go where you want and when you want.

So since I can’t fly and can’t stay young forever, I dream. I write. In my writing I can stay young and fly.

4 comments:

Callie James said...

Beautifully said, Carla. I like Peter Pan as well. I also loved Hook and the movie Finding Neverland has a special place in my heart.

I hated my childhood so it's odd to me that I find the staying young theme interesting. Of course flying would be the coolest thing ever.

This is an interesting comparison to what we write in romance. I'd never noticed until I read this blog.

Louisa Cornell said...

Great post, Carla and so true of writers. When I write I can go anywhere and do anything. I can fly through time and space and live in another era and in that era I can make happily ever after and adventure and mystery and fun happen. Is there any better job on earth?

M.V.Freeman said...

I am with you Carla, when I write, I can stay young...and fly.

I love being able to put myself in situations that I would never be able to do.

Lovely post!

(and lovely to see you on Saturday!)

Christine said...

Loved this post. I love the story as well. I love the idea of flying, of staying young, of being a fairy (the kind that flies LOL).

Don't want to be a child in my own history. But I love to be childlike. Writing gives me the opportunity to explore those themes and feel young.