Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Book Report

If you don't already have it, buy this book. Now.

I know the title's lame. And it's part of a how-to-write series. I don't care. James Scott Bell has written one of the best books for aspiring writers that's out there.

Even though you think you're getting just tips on plot and structure, you're getting so much more. He gives great characterization tips. He gives great "writing life" tips. He gives great storytelling tips. He talks about genres, dialogue, and tension.

Seriously. I would marry this guy if he were single. Well, and if I were single.

5 comments:

Gwen Hernandez said...

JoAnn: This is one of my favorite writing books! I'm trying to work my way through the plotting exercise. I've read the six books and I'm halfway through writing down the scenes of the first one.

Great recommendation!

M.V.Freeman said...

Hmm, Now I have to look that one up! Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm always on the look out for books that help me...

Christine said...

another book for the shelf...

Carla Swafford said...

You're a hoot, JoAnn! LOL!

Christine said...

There's only one problem with getting on Amazon and ordering ONE book--I end up ordering more than one!

Great post!