Thursday, November 26, 2009

Blessings


When I was sixteen, my family chose to move to a new city.  Great.  A junior in a brand new high school.  I knew no one and had no friends.  A long, lonely first month passed.  And then I saw this guy.  He was running on the stadium track behind the school. Gym shorts, no shirt. Hmmm - maybe this new school wasn't going to be so bad after all.... 

For a number of years now, my husband and I have taken a short pre-Thanksgiving trip to Gatlinburg, Tennessee.  We usually leave Birmingham on either the Saturday or Sunday before the holiday and return on Wednesday, just in time for me to cook all evening in preparation for the great family feast.  Actually our first trip as a married couple occurred on our honeymoon, followed by a long stretch of years spent finishing college, establishing careers, and raising a family before we chose to return.  Some of these trips have included family members and friends which we both totally enjoyed.  And yet others, like this one, were just the two of us. Again.

As with all vacations, once away from the usual daily stresses, we took the time to remember the little things.  Hand in hand, we strolled the busy sidewalks enjoying the holiday lights and the festive decorations.  To stay warm, we huddled together on the ski lift as we made our way up the side of the mountain.  We teased each other, laughing and flirting - much like that teenage boy and girl and yet so much more.  An added depth that the passage of time and the sharing of lives brings.

I share this rather personal story with you because today is Thanksgiving.  And I am so very thankful for blessings too numerous to list but one of which is that I'm a romantic.  I absolutely love love stories.  So I write romance.

And the hero of the above two paragraphs, that workaholic, alpha male who is presently hauling Christmas decorations up from the basement and bellowing my name?
Oh, yes.  I am blessed.  





8 comments:

Gwen Hernandez said...

Nice first post, Marie! I can relate to moving during high school. My family moved to a new state for my senior year, and though I was excited about it, I still worried about making friends. It ended up being the best year of them all.

I met my husband after another move when I switched to a different university. Best move I ever made! ;-)

Like you, my husband and I still have a loving, romantic relationship, and I'm not only thankful for it personally, but because I don't think I could write romance if I didn't believe in the HEA.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Callie James said...

Ahhh. Nice stories, both of you. Happy Thanksgiving!

Naima Simone said...

Hi, Marie!
What a wonderful story! And it's so much better because it's true! Those are the best kind of romances. Awesome post!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Christine said...

Hi Marie! Great post! Indeed, I am very happy with my hero--tho' his armor is a bit dented--he's still number one in my book.

I love love, too!

Cari Hislop said...

Your hero/romance sounds lovely! Mine is perfect for me. He e-mailed me from work earlier to see how I was feeling. (I'm suffering from an infected jaw that started yesterday)I don't feel very good, but I feel better for having a goblin-hero!

Marie Campbell said...

Thanks for the comments, everyone. It seems we all agree that our slightly flawed heroes make the very best ones. And, Cari, ouch! I hope you feel better soon. An infected jaw sounds very painful.

M.V.Freeman said...

Marie,
I agree with everyone, what a wonderful post!

An editor spoke one time about meeting her writer's spouses--she found that a majority of these resembled the heros they wrote about. I think that is very appropriate! (although, if my personal hero acted like the ones I wrote about, there would be some issues!)

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Louisa Cornell said...

Great post, Marie. You are indeed blessed! And heroes in slightly dented armor that bellow the heroine's name are always the best kind of heroes. Happy Thanksgiving, ladies! Oh and ROLL TIDE! VBEG